Radiator sounds - pings and dings sounds after TRV installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our old system fed tank changed to a condensing boiler. All the radiators in the house for a total of 5 also had TRVs installed. Inhibitor was added and all radiators bleed done by professionals. Everything working fine.

However, we’ve noticed that the radiator in our living room makes these ping and ding sounds. Only one in the house that we've noticed. It’s very intermittent and happens randomly but I would say once or twice every 30-60 mins? The thing is, our heating has been off entirely for the past 2 months, so the radiator has not been on at all. What could this issue be?

Sponsored Links
What could this issue be?

Expansion, and contraction noise, from the brackets supporting the radiator, probably. The radiators fit on brackets, which have a U shape, to hook the radiator rear onto. They are supplied with a plastic U shaped insert, to prevent the noise, but they are often missed off, or lost.

Expansion, and contraction noise, from the brackets supporting the radiator, probably. The radiators fit on brackets, which have a U shape, to hook the radiator rear onto. They are supplied with a plastic U shaped insert, to prevent the noise, but they are often missed off, or lost.

Thanks. I tried looking at the back but can't get a good view as we have a window board leaning slightly over.

I forgot to mention though that these radiators are old and we've never had this issue before in 9 years living here. Only start noticing it after the TRV valve installation.

The installer did say we have different sized pipes in some of the radiators so he had to work around it by cutting off the pipes before installing. Again no issues with the radiators working in the short time we tried it (as it was installed during the recent heat wave and no need for it since) and it's only this one in the living room that we're hearing the sounds.

I forgot to mention though that these radiators are old and we've never had this issue before in 9 years living here. Only start noticing it after the TRV valve installation.

The TRV's are possibly making the radiator heat and cool, more frequently, so more chances to hear the noise.

Sponsored Links
The TRV's are possibly making the radiator heat and cool, more frequently, so more chances to hear the noise.

But the heating is off? Also I've turned the valve to the max (5) and to the lowest (frost protection) and we still were hearing the sounds.

If it is the bracket, does that mean I need someone to come in and take it off to install etc? :(

When it does it put your ear on the rad, it'll be pretty apparent if it the rad itself making the noise or if it's coming up through the connecting pipework. If that supply pipework has been altered then it may be rubbing against itself. Do you have a combi or a system boiler (HW cylinder)?

Might be pipes to tvr against something. Ting ping is normaly brackets but can be pipes as they will move from heat and cooling.
Not convinced I'm correct though.
We used bits of carpet to pack pipes as bodge

My pipes, make a dripping sound in the hall, as the system warms up. Once I had established that the noise wasn't a genuine leak, I quickly learned to ignore it.

When it does it put your ear on the rad, it'll be pretty apparent if it the rad itself making the noise or if it's coming up through the connecting pipework. If that supply pipework has been altered then it may be rubbing against itself. Do you have a combi or a system boiler (HW cylinder)?

I'll try but it's very hard as it's so random and intermittent. I would literally have to sit next to the radiator in silence for hours to catch it :(

The only pipework that may have been changed was external i.e the thin pipe that immediately connects to the radiator.

We had a system that was converted to combi. Combi was installed and all fine. Then they came to do the TRV a few weeks later. Only then did we start noticing the sounds.

Might be pipes to tvr against something. Ting ping is normaly brackets but can be pipes as they will move from heat and cooling.
Not convinced I'm correct though.
We used bits of carpet to pack pipes as bodge

Heating and radiators have been off this entire time as we haven't needed to use it.

My pipes, make a dripping sound in the hall, as the system warms up. Once I had established that the noise wasn't a genuine leak, I quickly learned to ignore it.

The radiator is in the living room so we can't miss the sound unfortuantely. It's not super annoying or loud but still not welcomed. Even if it's not a leak or anything, I'd want to get rid of it.

Thanks for the replies guy!

Even if it's not a leak or anything, I'd want to get rid of it.

Once you have established the cause, why not do as I do, just treat it as part of the character of the house, assuming it is of no detriment? The back panel of our living room fire, goes bang as it warms up, and the same as it cools. I know it does it, and it reminds me, once in bed, the bang tells me I did remember to turn the fire off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back