Rain water entering over window lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house built in 1970 with cavity walls. A bedroom window on the 1st floor faces south. In the recent strong southerly gales water leaks in over the lintel. This has ruined the decoration. This has happened in the past under similar conditions. The house is of similar design and construction to my neighbour's who have suffered similar problems with the corresponding window. I can find no signs of damage to the exterior wall and that my neighbours suffer similar problems suggest a flaw in construction. An adjacent room with an identical construction of window, also south facing and if anything more exposed does not leak. The adjacent window was installed in an extension I had built by a trusted and very competent builder.

Such research as I have been able to conduct on the web suggests that the lintel, which is probably concrete, was installed without a cavity tray.

I would appreciate any advice on what I might be able to do about this and what I can check to confirm my suspicion.[/u]

Sponsored Links
I have recently started to get water ingress in the house from an outside wall,from ceiling ontop of the window, I cant see where its coming from, but it happens rarely and only when the winds are blowing rain towards this wall .
It may just be some pointing or a crack in the pointing where it's entering your too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back