Rainwater drainage - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The downpipes from our rain water gutter go directly onto the ground next to the front of our house - LHS and RHS. There doesn't seem to be any drains and the water collects.

On one side I think we need to divert this into a soakaway in the garden

On the other side we have a problem that the house forms the boundary with our neighbours driveway, so it isn't our land to install a soakaway. I think their sewage pipes run under the drive though, but I don't think from reading online that rainwater can connect to that system. Their garden is set quite far back from the downpipe so even if they were happy with us installing a soakaway I'm not sure how that would work.

I'd welcome any ideas - I wondered if a (not ideal) option might be to install a rain barrel collection system on the downpipe but don't know if these would hold enough water to cope. The gutter is alongside the length of the house (approx 15m long at a guess). There is also a weird ground level gutter along the side of the house that flows to the same depositing spot which a barrel wouldn't collect.

I'm not sure where the downpipes from the neighbours house go but their house is on the other side of their drive anyway so not sure we could use the same system.

Welcome any thoughts. It's a very old property if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back