Raising garage floor / Stud Wall Partitions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a partial garage conversion to add a laundry room to my house. The house is a late 80s Bovis (not sure if that's good or bad...) The house has a semi integral double garage (i.e. one side sits under the house, the other half under a pitched roof) Hopefully my 2D floor plan below explains this. Currently there is a firedoor between the garage and the hallway (All signed off by building control)

I want this to be compliant with building regs.

The room in turquoise is what I would like to create (2 new walls, 1 door and a raised floor)

Currently the garage slab is ~130mm below the finished floor level of the house, I would like the new laundry to be at the same level of the house. I have no idea how thick the slab is, nor whether it is insulated. I will say, it is dry in there.

I have a few questions which hopefully the experts here can give me a steer on before I start the conversation with building control:

1) As I want to raise the floor, what is the best way to do this? In my mind I need to build a small dwarf wall (2 courses) to bring it to the level of the house, then add a stud wall on top of this? I assume I can not simply go from the concrete slab with the stud wall as how would I create a new door threshold? Can I build a small dwarf wall direct onto the garage slab?

2) I assume I will need to add some kind of damp proof membrane and insulation on top of the floor slab, then add insulation and finally some screeding. Could I use timber joists instead with insulation between and floorboards? It would mean the joists would be very close to the existing concrete slab. The rest of the house is concrete floors.

3) I'm aware I need to comply with fire regs, which will mean the 2 new stud walls will need to be rated at 30 mins, and also the new door, I don't believe I would need to do anything with the existing internal walls?

4) What kind of thermal performance do I need from the stud walls, I'm not clear if they are classed as exterior walls as they are enclosed by the existing garage wall, if that makes any difference

Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I have deliberately not gone to the end of the house with the conversion to ensure I can still get a car in the left side and open the door without hitting the new laundry. Plumbing/drainage isn't an issue as the WC sink waste comes into the garage before returning back to the soil pipe in the bottom left corner of the WC.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 220550.png

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a partial garage conversion to add a laundry room to my house. The house is a late 80s Bovis (not sure if that's good or bad...) The house has a semi integral double garage (i.e. one side sits under the house, the other half under a pitched roof) Hopefully my 2D floor plan below explains this. Currently there is a firedoor between the garage and the hallway (All signed off by building control)

I want this to be compliant with building regs.

The room in turquoise is what I would like to create (2 new walls, 1 door and a raised floor)

Currently the garage slab is ~130mm below the finished floor level of the house, I would like the new laundry to be at the same level of the house. I have no idea how thick the slab is, nor whether it is insulated. I will say, it is dry in there.

I have a few questions which hopefully the experts here can give me a steer on before I start the conversation with building control:

1) As I want to raise the floor, what is the best way to do this? In my mind I need to build a small dwarf wall (2 courses) to bring it to the level of the house, then add a stud wall on top of this? I assume I can not simply go from the concrete slab with the stud wall as how would I create a new door threshold? Can I build a small dwarf wall direct onto the garage slab?

2) I assume I will need to add some kind of damp proof membrane and insulation on top of the floor slab, then add insulation and finally some screeding. Could I use timber joists instead with insulation between and floorboards? It would mean the joists would be very close to the existing concrete slab. The rest of the house is concrete floors.

3) I'm aware I need to comply with fire regs, which will mean the 2 new stud walls will need to be rated at 30 mins, and also the new door, I don't believe I would need to do anything with the existing internal walls?

4) What kind of thermal performance do I need from the stud walls, I'm not clear if they are classed as exterior walls as they are enclosed by the existing garage wall, if that makes any difference

Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I have deliberately not gone to the end of the house with the conversion to ensure I can still get a car in the left side and open the door without hitting the new laundry. Plumbing/drainage isn't an issue as the WC sink waste comes into the garage before returning back to the soil pipe in the bottom left corner of the WC.
Raise the floor with 1200g dpm, insulation and screed.

Yes - dwarf wall off the slab.

100mm Stud walls filled with 100mm Celotex and another 50-75mm layer across the studs. Foil tape the joints. Use pink fireboard on the garage side. We like to add a layer of ply behind the plasterboard, to aid fixing (later on).

I have done a similar conversion in my house.

1) Small wall two courses of brick on top of the concrete slab, then DPC on top of the wall then studwork.

2) I laid a DPM on top of the concrete, then 50mm celotex jointed with tape, then another DPM, then expansion foam around the perimeter, then liquid screed 30mm. You can do 60mm celotex and dry screed 70mm. Speak to your Building Inspector, he will tell you what he will accept.

3) I did a 60 min rated fireboard on the outer (garage) side of the wall plus 3mm skim , and insulated (52mm) plasterboard on the inside (laundry room side). Your Building inspector will want an OSB or a Plywood on the outer side of the wall behind the fireboard, just in case if you accidentally hit the wall with a hammer from the garage side. Not sure about the door, just use a fire door, to be safe.

4) You garage is not heated, so the walls will need to be insulated properly. 100mm stud wall with 90/100mm celotex between the joists and an insulated plasterboard on the internal side of the stud wall. I used 52mm PIR insulated plasterboard.

You should go via Building control, Building Notice (no Building application is required). When you will be informing them about the commencement they normally do not do a site visit, but you can ask them to send an inspector, when he is onsite, ask him what he will be happy with and just do what he wants.

Thanks both, so something like this? I've added ply to both sides so to facilitate hanging on units on the inside, and protecting the outside. Would you take the outer ply and plasterboard down to the slab level or the top of the dwarf wall as shown?

Screenshot 2024-06-19 203602.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, so something like this? I've added ply to both sides so to facilitate hanging on units on the inside, and protecting the outside. Would you take the outer ply and plasterboard down to the slab level or the top of the dwarf wall as shown?

View attachment 346627
We just fitted (18mm) ply on the non-garage side. But your drawing is accurate. Don't forget to foil tape all the PIR joints.

You need DPM under and above PIR on the floor.

DPM underneath PIR must overlap with DPC

Plasterboard and Ply must be above DPC level. I would build I thicker brick wall, single brick not half brick as on your drawing.

Some inspectors want the ceiling to be fire rated as well, your garage should already have double plasterboard, so this should be fine.

And don't forget to use structural timber framing screws when building the stud wall.

Thanks again both of you.

So something more akin to this?

Double width wall 2x2 courses?

Would there be an expectation from building control to tie the new DPM back into the existing brickwork of the house? Like they do with lead flashing.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 195450.png

Yes, this looks good

No, you do not need to tie the new DPM to the existing DPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back