Ran out of oil - help with re-starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Hoping someone can help me with this one. I have a Grant Combi 90 oil-fired boiler. I came back from spending Christmas with relatives to discover that some charming person had nicked my heating oil! First I knew of it was when boiler started to make strange air-lock type noises, I knew that it sounded like that when it had run out of oil - but having checked before Xmas thought that couldn't be possible - checked tank anyway, and got a nasty shock.

Oil should be delivered in the next week, but I know from past experience that the boiler never re-starts easily when it's run really low on oil. I've had to have a plumber to get it going again, and have been charged a fortune for 5-10 minutes work. Does anyone know what needs to be done? It looked easy when the plumber was doing it, but....
Thanks in anticipation - and Happy New Year everyone!

Sponsored Links
There is a good chance that the burner will come to life again if you can bleed the heating oil from the tank to the burner.
An assistant could be handy!
Turn tank valve off
Undo flexible oil line that connects into the burner
Turn tank valve on, and with luck oil should flow from your end of the pipe which you have by now dipped into a container....keep it going until no air is seen coming through.
Couple this pipe back up to the burner, then try for start - you'll need to press the red lock out lamp if this is lit.
John :)

just a thought as i don't do oil, but has it been serviced?

i only mention it as they do need an annual service to keep them running cleanly and maybe you could roll the restart and service into one?

or just undo the bleed/pressure port valve untill the oil comes out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. Service would be a good idea - but the whole point is I can't afford it at the moment not having budgeted having to spend £366 on oil out of the blue.

Thanks for the advice on bleeding Burnerman and xr4x4, roughly where should the tank valve be? I can see nothing in the manual labelled as a tank valve or bleed/pressure port valve.

I'm still currently cold as there's been no oil delivery yet - but will let you know how it goes once it arrives.

Thank you all for your helpful answers. Oil was delivered last night and much to my surprise (because it's never done it before) boiler was filled with the festive spirit, and started first time!
:D
Many thanks again, I'll keep all your answers for the next emergency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back