Rawlbolt removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips for removing a Rawlbolt from a Block wall. I have of course tried the suggestion of tapping the bolt to release the clamp but without success. The only thing I can think of is to drill around the bolt with a small masonry drill, but I am sure the is someone who has a better solution to the problem.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that the wedge is corroded into the barrel. Try WD40 or similar to free the wedge.

remove the block? bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution I guess.

Is it possible that the wedge is corroded into the barrel. Try WD40 or similar to free the wedge.

It's a thought, although there is no corrosion evident as the installation is relatively new and it is an internal wall. I think the 'legs' of the bolt are wedged into the block work , I have tried tapping the unit outer to try and release the legs without success. The main prblem with these bolts is that the threaded part of the bolt cannot be removed independently of the outer gripping part as such the bolt protrudes out of the wall until I can get the whole lot of it out. They are fantastic for what they are designed for , but removal is a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
remove the block? bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution I guess.

Removing the block is an option but to be honest, drilling around the bolt would be easier and less of a recovery issue as the bolt is into an internal block wall which is plaster board covered and skimmed. My plastering skills after removal of the block, leave a lot to be desired.

There is sometimes a little circlip, or bit of wire holding the wedge in place until it's inserted into the hole, so maybe you need to overcome the resistance of that circlip.

It's the bolt that needs hitting to drive the wedge further into the hole, allowing the outer to reduce in diameter, yes?
Although there may be then a problem of withdrawing the outer, because there's nowt to grip onto.

There is sometimes a little circlip, or bit of wire holding the wedge in place until it's inserted into the hole, so maybe you need to overcome the resistance of that criclip.

It's the bolt that needs hitting to drive the wedge further into the hole, allowing the outer to reduce in diameter, yes?

When the bolt is struck, that drives the expander cone to the bottom of the drilled hole, but this does not necessarily allows the 'legs' of the outer to release from the hole, and the cir-clip is not powerful enough to pull in the secured legs, hence the difficulty removing the outer, and of course the bolt itself. Drilling around the bolt outer may be the only practical solution and I will probably only have to drill half way round it to loosen it sufficiently.
My mail was really to draw on the wealth of experience of the guys on here who probably have had the same problem as I am experiencing, and worked out a way of achieving an easy removal.

Get a steel plate, with a hole drilled in it larger than the rawlbolt, to spread the load, then with a series of spacers put the nut on the thread and tighten the nut, adding more spacers something will have to give.

Wotan

Can't you pull the bolt forward cut it off then drive the rest of it back into the wall and fill over it.

I think the consensus of opinion is that the removal of the outer of the Rawlbolt is not really an option.
The angle grinder is probably the best option and if not that drilling around the outer with a small masonry drill.
Fantastic bolt albeit very difficult to remove.
Thanks everyone for your input and advice - Happy Days

I think the consensus of opinion is that the removal of the outer of the Rawlbolt is not really an option.
The angle grinder is probably the best option and if not that drilling around the outer with a small masonry drill.
Fantastic bolt albeit very difficult to remove.
Thanks everyone for your input and advice - Happy Days

They are supposed to be difficult to remove!!

I am well aware of that Eddie, hence my posting to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Two constructive postings have been very useful rather than unhelpful.

I am well aware of that Eddie, hence my posting to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Two constructive postings have been very useful rather than unhelpful.

Sorry, small diamond core bit, drill it out with a small plug of blockwork, neat and quick. (well assuming you have or can beg borrow or steal a small diamond core)

Sponsored Links
Back