RCD INSTALLATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an rcd into my shower circuit to bring it into line with current (PUN) regs.

I am correct to connect the positive and return wires to the RCD? ( black and red ). How am i to run the earth from the CU through the rcd enclosure?

Can I just run an earth from the shower to a copper water supply pipe. The flat was built in 1994.

Help

Sponsored Links
rcds are not required for showers by current regs though it is strogly adviseable to fit them

get us a picture of the CU and we will advise further

Generally speaking, it is best not to break the earth conductor. Run it thro' the RCD enclosure unbroken. You can cover the bare wire with green/yellow tape.

trymybest said:
Can I just run an earth from the shower to a copper water supply pipe.

NO!! Under no circumstances may you use your water pipes to provide an earth....
You should connect the earth of the shower into the supplementary bonding in the bathroom, but this is in addition to the earthing provided in the normal way by the supply cable, not instead of..

Sponsored Links
So one should take the bonding cable from the same earth point in the shower unit as the earth from the supply cable is connected to? A number of pics that i've seen show the bonding cable usually connected to the copper supply pipe(s)?Is this practice merely another possibility?

There are many posts on the subject of supplementary bonding - try a search and see what you come up with.

But basically you should connect any extraneous metalwork, bath, water pipes, rads, to each other AND to the earth conductors of all circuits supplying equipment within the bathroom. IE Showers, Imm Htrs, Lighting, Towel Rails, Shaver sockets, striplights etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back