Re-fixing a radiator support to a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a heated towel rail/radiator in our bathroom. Wonderfully, my old man managed to pull a part of it from the wall when visiting over the weekend.

The part that has come away from the wall is at the top, and is not connected to the pipes - it's merely a support piece that holds the rail square.

What do I need to do to reattach this as the plaster(or whatever it is) has come out. The bar that has been pulled out goes into the wall, so I obviously need to fill the hole that's been left, but what should I do it with and how do I go about making sure that the support is firmly in place?

I hope what I'm asking is clear, and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type wall is it?
For example
is it plasterboard stud wall?
brick/block plaster fininished?
Plasterboard dot'n'dab?

And what type of hanging brackets are they?
If you don't know they type, posting pictures or a link to them would help.

It's rail pretty similar to this one - it's the top left cylinder bar that's come loose/out. The cyclinder part stays on the outside of the wall, with a smaller pointed insert going into the wall to hold it in place.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ch/chrome-heated-towel-rail.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but don't know of the type of wall but it's a few cms of outer wall, a gap, then the outer wall of the house.

Hope that makes sense - you can't half tell I'm a new home owner!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like dot and dab; where plasterboard is stuck to brickwork with adhesive.

If there is sufficient brickwork left, you need to push a wall plug into the brickwork. You may not push it all in straight away, so put screw in a little way, then tap the screw in with a hammer and screwdriver, so the plug enters the brickwork. Then screw the screw in properly.

Make sure the hole is the same size as the wall plug.

If the hole is too large you may get away with fitting a cavity spring toggle, which will grip to the plasterboard.

Hard to say without a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back