Country
United Kingdom
Re-wire PRIOR to me starting!!!

About at the end of its life!!!

So this didn't work,mmmmmm

Grown over the years perhaps????

okay messy

nice!!!!

So chaps anyone know what this is/does/did???

Place was entirely rubber coated cable, snapped as i brushed passed it!!!

Much had fabric insulation as well, even the fridge flex cord was fabric insulated!!!! But still worked apparently over 40 years old!!!

Try and buy one of those from Currys

Sponsored Links
It's a switched fuse spur.

No, it really is.

You pull out the black knob to turn it off, and push it in to turn it on :eek: (fnarr fnarr)

You unscrew the knob to access the fuse(s) or fuse wire(s). It might be neutral fused. I can't remember.

Looks a nice job, and well overdue for doing.

Did you have the cast iron cutout replaced while you were at it?

Hmm, I've got a rewire with a cast iron cut out, a wee green one - LUCY is the maker, I think.

Do the DNO replace these on request?
The meter looks fairly new on my site. I'll take pic next time I'm there....

SPot on Rob.

Yes neutral is fused, loved it so much I kept it.

12 to 16 weeks for the cast iron cut out!!!! 30A fuse in it STILL!!

Sponsored Links
Keep coming across old rubber/lead cables and all the relics associated with them in my current house.

Found and old junction box on a pretty nice looking wodden backing board, the (lead) cables had been twisted together and held in place with twist on ceramic connectors. Looked more like artwork than electronics.

Thankfully its all dead!

Hmm, I've got a rewire with a cast iron cut out, a wee green one - LUCY is the maker, I think.

Do the DNO replace these on request?
The meter looks fairly new on my site. I'll take pic next time I'm there....

The one in the picture above should be green, but someone must have painted it.

I'd guess that on mine and oharaf's patch that 40% of houses still have these cutouts.

AFAIK around here the DNO will replace them for free if you ask them.

Nice, I bet you'll ejnoy ripping all of that guff down!

I came across and install very similar once, had been asked to quote for moving a couple of points for a kitchen fitter.

My exact words were "I'm not touching that unless im ripping out in the process of rewiring the whole place!"

Do you have any photos of after the rewire when you finsihed the job? Would be nice to compare!

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back