Ready mixed lime mortar recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning on re-pointing an internal chimney breast. Could anyone recommend a ready mixed lime mortar that I could use?

I've been reading up on lime mortars and it's an absolute minefield. For me ease is more important than saving money. Ideally something that's ready to use or something where I'd only have to add water would be ideal.

TIA for any advice

Sponsored Links
I've not used it, but Wickes bagged mortar often gets suggested on here, it is a cement/lime mix though, so may not be suitable.

For Lime mortar the sand should be sharp sand. That immediately makes it more difficult to work with.
Also Lime mortar tends to dry much lighter than cement mortar.
Hydraulic Limes set within hours or days. They cannot be kept wet to prevent them setting, as in the case of Lime putty.

There's no advantage to pointing with lime mortar if cement has been used for building the wall.

Sponsored Links
Conserv ready mixed lime mortar is great...
I've used plenty of it, just choose the right 'stuff' to match any existing mortar.

As has been said above, cement mortar may be adequate for your situation.
However, having a pre-mixed, ready to use lime mortar (ready in a bucket, that is really easy to use), has it's own usability benefit, over mixing up a cement mortar mix.

IMG_20240920_114034.jpg

So basically it's clear that lime mortar was the original mortar used So I thought that I'd need to use lime to avoid further damage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back