Rear extension - Sewage pipe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m planning to build a rear extension to add a downstairs bedroom for my elderly parents. Currently, there’s a sewage pipe running through our rear garden that connects to one manhole and then diverts to a second, both located in the same garden. I understand that depending on the situation, a build-over application may be required.

I’d like some advice on the best way to reroute these sewage pipes. Would it be possible to install an inspection chamber in the neighboring property, which I also own, and have it connect to the second manhole? This would allow me to remove the existing manhole where the extension is planned.

I would also plan on setting up new pipes from my current house to feed straight to the second manhole.

I'm just looking for advice on what is possible and any recommendations you may have for my situation.

Attachments

• Drainage 1.png
    Drainage 1.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Drainage Proposal.png
    Drainage Proposal.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
As the sewers serve two or more properties the maintainance of the pipes and manholes through your garden is almost certainly the responsibility of the local water company. Contact them,

Hi,

I’m planning to build a rear extension to add a downstairs bedroom for my elderly parents. Currently, there’s a sewage pipe running through our rear garden that connects to one manhole and then diverts to a second, both located in the same garden. I understand that depending on the situation, a build-over application may be required.

I’d like some advice on the best way to reroute these sewage pipes. Would it be possible to install an inspection chamber in the neighboring property, which I also own, and have it connect to the second manhole? This would allow me to remove the existing manhole where the extension is planned.

I would also plan on setting up new pipes from my current house to feed straight to the second manhole.

I'm just looking for advice on what is possible and any recommendations you may have for my situation.
Is there a loo or some such going in the new extension?

Speak to your local water company. Most have dedicated teams to work on these projects

Sponsored Links
Firstly, need to know if the sewer coming from the left just takes the neighbouring property, or are there any others connected to it. If it just takes the Neighbouring property, (assuming this is the also in your possession), then it should be fairly straightforward to divert the pipe, but as, technically once it passes the boundary into the second property, it is the Water Company's asset, so they would need to be spoken to regarding the sewer being moved.

Does this help ?

Does this help ?

The definition of a "sewer" is straightforward. How ownership applies to individual properties is idiosyncratic. Drains on the same property footprint can be adopred - others not. You do not want the water company involved until ownership of the affected drains is confirmed.

So how do you confirm ownership ?

If it’s a shared pipe crossing your land it’s down to the water company iirc

So how do you confirm ownership ?

If it’s a shared pipe crossing your land it’s down to the water company iirc
Yes true.

However, it may be possible for the OP to construct the drains in such a way as to isolate the sewer section from his domestic, whilst doing whatever he pleases with the remaining drains within his owned curtilage (as per previous two posts).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back