Reducing Leylandii hedge

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Leylandii hedge 4m high by 2m wide. I would like to reduce to approx 2m high.

I have chainsaw, hedge trimmer and usual hand tools. I won't chainsaw on a ladder but I have access to a scaffold tower that I think would be safe to chainsaw from.

How would you approach this? At the moment the hedge is so dense I can't see the trunks. Maybe trim a load of branches back with loppers to expose the trunk and then remove 1m sections of trunk at a time? Any other tips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
watch that the branch does not go down and cutting may reduce by a lot more than required

we are lucky we can get behind and only the tree grows forward - so getting up and cutting is OK
we have a small wall and fence behind
had a meter cut off this recently
usually my son and I are over it
using a ripsaw, loppers , secateurs (cordless) , cordless extendable hedge trimmer - i have used a chainsaw on the trunks, and a handsaw (panel)

best purchase was the dewalt 18v ripsaw and some green wood blades -

and

only picture i have

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a Leylandii hedge 4m high by 2m wide. I would like to reduce to approx 2m high.

I have chainsaw, hedge trimmer and usual hand tools. I won't chainsaw on a ladder but I have access to a scaffold tower that I think would be safe to chainsaw from.

How would you approach this? At the moment the hedge is so dense I can't see the trunks. Maybe trim a load of branches back with loppers to expose the trunk and then remove 1m sections of trunk at a time? Any other tips?

Thanks
thats a nice itchy scratchy job

the brown interior of a leylandii hedge is the work of the devil

you might struggle to get close enough with a tower. Bear in mind you will be working constantly off the edge of the tower and leaning over, its risks tipping it up.

You might be better off with a ladder and a board of wood fitted to it so it will rest against the hedge

Thanks all. Recip saw sounds like a plan, I can get that in further whereas I wouldn't want to use a chainsaw at arms length.

Ladder with a board sounds interesting...

Ladder with a board sounds interesting...
forget i use that
a foldable ladder - turns into a platform , and then an old piece of worktop on top 40mm very heavy - but keeps the thing solid

I have for the last couple of years been looking at the tripod ladders - so the 3rd single leg can go in to the hedge/bush etc
BUT the one i would like - they dont make , a gardner friend of mine has one from about 10years ago and its pefect , about 1.8 - 2m High - the leg can be fixed - NOT meggar wide at the bottom and no platformm at the top .

Make a neat line where you want the top to be, then remove everything above that.
Remove as much as you can from the inside, without affecting your 'neat line'
Then trim all the sides too, even if they don't need it.

I have done them by using a ladder to get up and basically get in there like a monkey and stand on the branches right next to the trunk and using a hand saw cut each trunk and step across to the next one. Cut off branches first with a lopper and then cut off 1m height then the next 1m.
Then every 2 years get back up there and all the new growth supports my weight on a big piece of old sponge and work my way across the flat top, every year it gets thicker up there and easier to trim the height by surfing across the top.
You need someone on the ground standing a way back to shout "A bit more off that one" as its very difficult to judge the level when you are in it.

If you want the finished height at 2m you really need to be taking the main trunks to not much more than a metre.
Once the trunks have gone all the side branches will start to become more upright as they compete to become a new leader which will give your height
I start at one end and work along the row on top of the previously cut trees .
A one handed mini chainsaw is perfect for the task.

Attachments

• IMG_20240825_164803775.jpg
    IMG_20240825_164803775.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 29
i would keep it in place but really trim from side and top, keep it in check every year as it provides good privacy.

Right so I think my plan is:

Trim the side of the hedge as tight as possible.

Get the tower or trestles and planks really close to the hedge, use sand bags on the back side of the platform to stop tipping if necessary.

Long sleeves to get myself right close into the tree so I'm chainsawing the trunk safely, not at arms length.

Chainsaw the trunks at about 1.5m and leave the branches growing above to conceal the cut trunk.

Tidy up with loppers and trimmer.

Trunks are up to 25cm diameter so probably too much for a mini chainsaw.

Thanks all.

Now thinking about the chainsaw cuts. Can't make the notch facing me for safety and practical reasons so am thinking of notching on the left side, back cut from the right side, will fell into the hedge. Does that sound best?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back