Refinishing of kitchen cabinet carcasses 'in situ' and also replacement doors for B&Q doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Mother and Fathers kitchen is beginning to look quite tired in that the carcasses look grubby inside and the dirt cannot be removed with conventional cleaners etc.

They don't want the pain of a new kitchen so can anyone please advise on a Company that serves within the M25 that respray / reline / refinish the carcass internals whilst 'in situ'. They would have emptied the carcasses of their contents / shelves / hinges.

Secondly can anyone advise on a company that will supply (not supply and fit) replacement doors for B&Q kitchens other than B&Q. They can fit the doors but they would need the exact same size and hinge hole drillings.

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
A company that did all those things would would probably charge not far off the price of a new kitchen and take as long. If money is an issue consider new cabinet fronts new worktop sink and taps. If it’s disruption then not much in it.

Thanks for the response. Money isn't an issue and if it costs a load so be it but they do not want the disruption of a new kitchen hence they want someone to refinish the cabinets in situ

Thanks for the response. Money isn't an issue and if it costs a load so be it but they do not want the disruption of a new kitchen hence they want someone to refinish the cabinets in situ
That's my point, a refurb of the kind you describe could take as long as a new kitchen installation. If its an imposition the 'rents could move out for a few days

Sponsored Links
They don't want the kitchen removed and a new one installed by anyone including professional kitchen fitters. They want the existing carcasses refinished in situ.

Do you have photos?

I am a decorator rather than a kitchen fitter, regardless, I would try household ammonia (cheap but smelly), followed by Isopropyl alcohol (less smelly). At a push, cellulose thinners... but do a test area first. I have never used cellulose thinners on melamine. It does however dissolve some plastics (sorry- can't remember which ones).

Probably not want you want to hear/read, but spraying the internals will potentially result in overspray which will run in to the room. In the old days the basic formula was 10% sticks to the surface 90% becomes dust. Then we had HVLP- it was a 60/40% ratio. Aireless? Less overspray compared to the two others.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a waterbased paint that will sufficiently adhere to melamine that is safe to apply in occupied properties and will be as durable as the isocyanate (read: dangerous) paints. I am not saying that they don't exist. I just don't know of any safe versions that are as durable as the original finish, hence my recommendation that you find a suitable solvent.

Opps.

Many thanks for your generous time in providing such a comprehensive reply.

Im sure my Mum and Dad could tart the cabinets up with a major clean and I use IPA myself which I find is pretty great stuff.

Prior to your reply I contacted Dulux about possibly using a roller to apply the paint as opposed to spraying. Use of a roller may not give a perfect finish but this is at least a bit more DIY friendly and considerably better than the pain of a kitchen refit. Dulux recommended prepping the interior of the cupboards with this product:-

they then believed it best to create a paint system based on the above primer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back