Regulations regarding switched light fixtures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to put a couple of switched lights in my bedroom. A rocker style over the bed and a ceiling pull cord in the fitted wardrobe.

Is there anything in the regs that state this should operate from a switched live as well as their own integral switch? For the purpose of their use it makes no sense to wire them to a switched live (I realise it means you can isolate the lamp without tripping the associated MCB mind you, but no pratical use reason)

I've looked through previous posts and at google but can not find a definitive answer.

So clarification would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Which ever way you do it your lamps will require a line, neutral and earth to operate.
The switch simply acts as a device to break or make the line, unles you decide to run the line, neutral and earth through the switch itself.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

This shows both a standard line break/make switch and the L/N/E through the switch version.
If I read you question correctly, these lamps will have their own integrated (pull) switch? If that is so then you just need to get L/N/E to them.
Nothing in the regs prevents this.

Don't quite understand the question!
So what is the purpose of the pull cord switch?
Is this as functional lighting operation or as an isolator to the wall switch?

Is he asking whether he has to run the feeds from the switched live of the main bedroom light, or can it be independently fed?

If so, no you can run them from the live loop and just have local switches for the fittings.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

Yeah they both will have integral switches so I'll just the live from the loop in the ceiling rose
Cheers

Cheers guys.

Yeah they both will have integral switches so I'll just the live from the loop in the ceiling rose
Cheers
No you will need all three live, neutral and earth - otherwise you wont have a circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back