Relays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
markings on a relay show 20A 14 VDC & 20A 125VAC
why such a big difference between direct and Alternating currant, does direct current tend to arc more ?

I take it 125vac means it is not suitable for mains 240v ? or is it close enough

Sponsored Links
AC means it goes to 0 n times/second [usually 50] so much less arcing.
240V is nearly double 125V, can't see how that's going to "close" by any definition!

AC crosses zero volts twice every cycle, and if you average the voltage it gives you zero.

This limits the arcing potential when comparing it to DC. Therefore the AC rated voltage is much higher.
I take it 125vac means it is not suitable for mains 240v
Probably not.

Last edited:
AC crosses zero volts twice every cycle, and if you average the voltage it gives you zero.

This limits the arcing potential when comparing it to DC. Therefore the AC rated voltage is much higher.

Probably not.
aye - probably not - I have got a 500v relay that works form 12v, can get one relay to work another, just seems a bit of an arse

I do like the argument that its average is zero, which I suppose it technically is, although it may tell a different story if you licked the terminals.

Is the effective aveargae 240v (RMS of its peak of 340) I always struggle to get my heed round this.

Sponsored Links
I do like the argument that its average is zero, which I suppose it technically is, although it may tell a different story if you licked the terminals.
Have a think about this.
The average motion of a piston in a steam or other engine is also zero but it delivers torque and power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back