Removing a socket from a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a 13A twin wall socket socket from an existing ring main, and the wiring is not accessible without lots of major upset. How can I join the two cables safely within the partition wall? The existing socket is in a spot that will be right behind a wood burning range cooker, so it has to go!

Sponsored Links
I need to remove a 13A twin wall socket socket from an existing ring main, and the wiring is not accessible without lots of major upset. How can I join the two cables safely within the partition wall? The existing socket is in a spot that will be right behind a wood burning range cooker, so it has to go!
Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance (Reg 526.3) except....
list...
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool.
(vi) Equipment complying with BS5733 for a maintenance free accessory and marked with the symbol MF and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions:

So in your case I would say either a
Compression joint using a proper ratchet compression tool - not the 'squeeze me quick' type but one like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Crimp_Lugs_and_Tools/index.html
or a maintenance free junction box
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

would meet the regulations.

Thanks Riveralt. Exactly what I needed to know and the links you provided means no scrabbling round to find appropriate models/suppliers, you're a star.

Hi Andy

I don't know what your level of DIY is so if you don't fancy messing with crimps (I use them and its fine) then have a look at WAGO connectors. 2 pole. I only discovered these last week. HOW DID I GET ON WITHOUT THEM!!!!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA412.html

Just put like for like in each of the holes and snap the lever shut. Simples! (blue with blue, brown with brown etc)

Sponsored Links
You should not crimp solid cores and

I don't think the Wagos are yet classed as maintenance free.
The Ashley J803 is.

Hi EFLI

I was told they were so that would be great if someone could clarify that.

Ive only used three to make my ringmain while I refurb a wall with a socket on. But I planned on using them instead of crimps now. I haven't had any problems what-so-ever with crimps. I don't use a ratchet but ive worked with crimps for years with work so im happy, but I would recommend ratchet for a novice. I know its advised that you don't crimp solid conductors but like I said, ive not had an problems with them being loose or anything.

I was told they were so that would be great if someone could clarify that.
It didn't say they were MF on the web-site.
I'm sure they would if they were.
Are they as riveralt quoted from the regs.
(vi) Equipment complying with BS5733 for a maintenance free accessory and marked with the symbol MF and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions:

I haven't had any problems what-so-ever with crimps. I don't use a ratchet
What do you use? An auto(mobile) wire crimper?

but ive worked with crimps for years with work so im happy, but I would recommend ratchet for a novice. I know its advised that you don't crimp solid conductors but like I said, ive not had an problems with them being loose or anything.
Nevertheless.

I am just slightly concerned that no-one has mentioned the possibility that removal of a socket also removes any associated safe zone. If the cables are less than 50mm deep when they pass through studs or noggins, or if they are not constrained in position, they could be a problem.

May not be a big deal but needs thinking about.

I haven't had any problems what-so-ever with crimps. I don't use a ratchet
What do you use? An auto(mobile) wire crimper?

My teeth, but if I have a little toothache that day ill use non ratchet wire crimpers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back