Removing push fit connector

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am going to be replacing this pushfit connector and hose due to a leak on the valve screw.

Am familiar with the John Guest fittings and how they are disconnected but never seen one like this which must be at least 20 years old.

See attached pic. It has a red collar but no idea of brand.

Just wanted to know how to remove and any hints and tips for this particular model.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240708_110412.png
    IMG_20240708_110412.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Try the JG method, grasp the (black) body and retract the red ring, slide out.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Something tells me, after 20 years this might be tricky to remove

Sponsored Links
I think the one I'll be trying to remove is Toolstation product 30488. Not sure if it requires a tool to remove though.
Screenshot_20240708_171237_com.android.chrome.jpg

Just push / pull the red collar in to the black main housing, keep it fully depressed and pull / push the pushfit off -- it'll probably come off readily enough. You could use a thin open ended spanner to assist in depressing the red ring if finger tips aren't enough.

Unclear to me if the scale is from the pushfit (o-ring) leaking or if that scale has come from that soldered joint.

• Thanks
Just push / pull the red collar in to the black main housing, keep it fully depressed and pull / push the pushfit off -- it'll probably come off readily enough. You could use a thin open ended spanner to assist in depressing the red ring if finger tips aren't enough.

Unclear to me if the scale is from the pushfit (o-ring) leaking or if that scale has come from that soldered joint.
Many thanks.
I'm a bit concerned getting the old one off might be a pain. It's been there since we moved here 19 years ago.
I've used JG fittings and Hep in the past.
I know Hep require a tool to remove but wasn't sure about this one as never seen it. Don't want to force it if a tool is required. Noticed there's a notch in the red ring (toolstation pic above has similar) , so wasn't sure where that was where some form of tool needs to go.

Not sure about the scale. Never known it to leak so must be historic.

Many thanks.
I'm a bit concerned getting the old one off might be a pain. It's been there since we moved here 19 years ago.
I've used JG fittings and Hep in the past.
I know Hep require a tool to remove but wasn't sure about this one as never seen it. Don't want to force it if a tool is required. Noticed there's a notch in the red ring (toolstation pic above has similar) , so wasn't sure where that was where some form of tool needs to go.

Not sure about the scale. Never known it to leak so must be historic.
No need for a tool and they are simple devices anyway (Hep2O are slightly cleverer, as will copper pushfit release tools be I'd guess): https://www.toolstation.com/de-mounting-tool/p34492 is something that an open ended spanner will replicate and could be used on the fitting you have.

The red ring pushes in to release the (stainless steel) grab ring from the pipe to allow it to slide out of the housing / o-ring seal(s). It'll still need some effort to move the fitting off initially I suspect, due in part to that scaling up.

If you've done pushfit work before I'm surprised you haven't finished this simple change already.

Biggest issue will be if the pipe doesn't clean up nicely (scored copper) when a compression fitting and olive may be needed rather than a pushfit o-ring.

When I replaced a water pump in a caravan using Whale pushfits the olives in the fittings were distorted from age (circa 6 or 7 years) so leaked like :censored: and needed replacing (which was possible with care and the right size o-ring). 12mm plastic pipework iirc. Thanks to a caravan forum and eBay sellers.

• Thanks
No need for a tool and they are simple devices anyway (Hep2O are slightly cleverer, as will copper pushfit release tools be I'd guess): https://www.toolstation.com/de-mounting-tool/p34492 is something that an open ended spanner will replicate and could be used on the fitting you have.

The red ring pushes in to release the (stainless steel) grab ring from the pipe to allow it to slide out of the housing / o-ring seal(s). It'll still need some effort to move the fitting off initially I suspect, due in part to that scaling up.

If you've done pushfit work before I'm surprised you haven't finished this simple change already.

Biggest issue will be if the pipe doesn't clean up nicely (scored copper) when a compression fitting and olive may be needed rather than a pushfit o-ring.

When I replaced a water pump in a caravan using Whale pushfits the olives in the fittings were distorted from age (circa 6 or 7 years) so leaked like :censored: and needed replacing (which was possible with care and the right size o-ring). 12mm plastic pipework iirc. Thanks to a caravan forum and eBay sellers.
To be honest, I never took much notice of the scaling up. It sits round the back of our en suite toilet.
I plumbed in the shower pump years ago using JG then used HEP20 fittings recently for our shower unit. Went for HEP20 due to being more durable long term as some of those joints are quite inaccessible.
I'll bite the bullet when the timing is right in case things go wrong and have to keep water switched off for a while.
Deep breath....

Thanks all for your messages.
Have replaced with a nice new pipe now.
However, the 20+ year old push fit didn't come off without a struggle.
Hacksaw/Stanley knife was required but luckily got there without damaging the copper pipe.
All good now with no leaks... Phew!!!
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back