Repacking a gland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My original post got a bit hijacked so here goes:

What's the best thing to use for packing/repacking a gland (on, say, a gate valve)?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Seem to remember my college tutor saying that wool or ptfe tape was good for packing glands. :D

I tried using wool in my outside tap, but it got pushed up past the spindle. Either I put too much in, or wool's not a good idea!

Had a plumber out the other day for a gate valve in my airing cupboard. All he did was repack the gland (apparently), for which he charged £15. I don't want to deny anyone their living, but that's an hourly rate of £300.

Where do I sign up!!?? ;)

At your nearest college

Then go and buy a vehicle (and fuel/service/mot/insurance)
The go and get your PL insurance
Then go and get your stock of parts
Then go and get .......
Then go and pay your tax and NI contribution

welcome aboard - it's like shelling peas!!!!

Sponsored Links
All he did was repack the gland (apparently), for which he charged £15.

You are extremely lucky he came out for only £15. :rolleyes:

Most would have charged you £40 minimum to cover travelling time, fuel etc.

£15!!!!

Was he Polish, or just a registered charity?

Bargain. I would charge double that, even if it was a cash job next door!

£15?? was he a close family member?....mind you saying that I wouldn't even do it for a close family member for that!

Tallow and soft string
or ptfe twisted into string
or loctite 55 thread.

I take it he was travelin in a time machine so he can charge £300 per hour.

Be a nice day wouldn't it if you had a full day of 2 minute jobs with 1 minute travel between each one....of course you could always become a solicitor instead and earn the same for telling your secretary to type a letter or a banker and get it for absolutely nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back