Repairing a pair of digital scales

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of experience soldering but not of testing circuitry, so can anyone tell me where the first places to start is?

The problem is that the scales are no longer switching on. The batteries have been changed to brand new ones and the LCD display is totally dead. It will not turn on.

Top view of the scales :

IMG_20170522_181139.jpg

Bottom view of the scales :

IMG_20170522_181155.jpg

Unscrewed the fascia:

IMG_20170522_181829.jpg

Close up of the circuit board :

IMG_20170522_181823.jpg

IMG_20170522_181835.jpg

I'd like to have a go at repairing this before I toss it.

Sponsored Links
I think that's a "no user serviceable parts inside" product. There isn't even an on/off switch to check. Just googled Tanita and they don't look cheap/throw-away. Their website has plenty of contact options, customer support webchat, facebook etc. I'd ask them for advise, nothing to lose.

It's well out of warranty so unlikely. I will contact them though. Just thought there's something I could try.

A better close up of the PCB (both sides) might help a bit more.

Have you checked to see if there's voltage at the first point from where the battery connects to the PCB? Could be a duff battery holder

Sponsored Links
Yes would be best testing out contact first. But although expensive, power loss is a common issue with these. I binned mine. Sorry cannot help any further.

Hi Igg.

IMG_20170522_204958.jpg

IMG_20170522_205005.jpg

IMG_20170522_205028.jpg

IMG_20170522_205015.jpg

IMG_20170522_204952.jpg

IMG_20170522_204342.jpg

IMG_20170522_204334.jpg

anything obvious ? I'm getting a multimeter on wednesday. Never owned one.

I was required to repair a dumper mounted concrete mixer which was intended to mix an accurate batch of concrete, although much bigger it was same idea four strain gauges connected to a read out, found the faulty strain gauges and new ones ordered arrived and fitted. However the readings were wildly inaccurate, phoned manufacturer who offered to send their guy to calibrate it.

However when I explained that would tie him up for 2 months, 14 days to get to the Falklands and unless he completed in the hour it took to refuel he would need to wait for next boat 28 days latter then 14 days back, they decided they would fax me out the instructions, it was quite easy once given the step by step instructions, but without them it would be impossible.

So in real terms likely you just need to find a handy re-cycling centre.

I was required to repair a dumper mounted concrete mixer which was intended to mix an accurate batch of concrete, although much bigger it was same idea four strain gauges connected to a read out, found the faulty strain gauges and new ones ordered arrived and fitted. However the readings were wildly inaccurate, phoned manufacturer who offered to send their guy to calibrate it.

However when I explained that would tie him up for 2 months, 14 days to get to the Falklands and unless he completed in the hour it took to refuel he would need to wait for next boat 28 days latter then 14 days back, they decided they would fax me out the instructions, it was quite easy once given the step by step instructions, but without them it would be impossible.

So in real terms likely you just need to find a handy re-cycling centre.

It probably will come to that but because there's no impact damage as far as I know I'm going to give it a good go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back