Replace 2 way dimmer with a remote dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, please help. Bare with me as I know nothing about electrics!

I have 2 light switches in my from room, both are 1 gang. These control 3 wall lights. 1 switch is a 'standard' switch and the other is a dimmer.

I would like to replace the dimmer with a remote controlled dimmer. I took the face plate off and I saw 4 wires. 3 going into the back of the switch and 1 screwed to the face plate, the earth at a guess!

Now, when I took the faceplate off the 'standard' switch there must have been 6-8 wires in there ... I screamed like a child and put it all back together again!

What I would like to know .... I am looking at the futronix P100 light switch to replace the current dimmer, the diagram shows the wiring for this switch :

lightingdiag.gif

Would this do the job?

Many thanks. Sorry for not really knowing what i am on about!

Sponsored Links
At a quick glance, it seems the switch requires a neutral, which is unlikely (but not impossible) to be present in your current switch positions.

If getting a neutral to the switch proves difficult, look at tlc-direct.co.uk for electronic dimmers, and then search this site for the same. There's lots of info re these switches here.

securespark said:
At a quick glance, it seems the switch requires a neutral, which is unlikely (but not impossible) to be present in your current switch positions.

If getting a neutral to the switch proves difficult, look at tlc-direct.co.uk for electronic dimmers, and then search this site for the same. There's lots of info re these switches here.

I have looked at tlc-direct and those dimmers require you to have their 'master dimmer' which is only a one way switch. Only the additional switches you can but are 2way.

Which colour is normally N? I have red, black and blue from memory.

Sponsored Links
N is black, but just because you have a black wire does not mean it is N. It could be a switchwire that has not been correcly indentified.

The tlc master dimmers do act 1 way, but you can add slaves to make them 2 way. Read how to install them on the tlc website. This should give you all the info you need to know. If not give them a ring.

But anyway #1 - there's nothing in that diagram above to show the presence of a 2nd dimmer in a 2-way circuit, nor anything on the manufacturers website to indicate that they make a 2-way product.

But anyway #2 - why do you need a 2-way dimmer if you've got a remote control? You might need 2 remotes if you're too lazy to walk to wherever you last left it, but not 2 dimmers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back