Replacement oil boiler programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 non-condensing oil boiler (manf. date 1984!) still performing well apart from the programmer (HW & CH). The original mechanical programmer failed many years ago which I replaced with a Horstmann C27 digital module (5 wires) which has now also failed.

First query - can anyone suggest the most appropriate replacement please?

Second query - As odd as it may seem in 2024 the system has solely relied on the boiler stat for water temp (not even a room stat). Any suggestions towards upgrading the controls would be appreciated. It may be that the boiler may have to be replaced before too long simply due to age. As gas/heat pump/solar or PV are not options the future will have to be oil again or possibly biomass. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
First and second query - A Hive may be a dead simple replacement - other (better) choices are available, but may not be as simple to install.
I believe the receiver would sit on the existing backplate, without any wiring changes.
The remote room stat would then sit where you wanted it, without the need for any new cabling.
If you would like to post a photo of the wiring to the backplate of your C27, we may be able to confirm.
Also, note the setting on the back of the C27 regarding gravity, or pumped. This may need to be set up on the new system.

Many thanks for reply. Had a quick look at Hive site but wasn't very specific.

Currently (and for simplicity to keep the system running) I have disgarded the C27 and fitted an old original Worcester clockwork programmer (2 on, 2off) which completes the circuit. Unfortunately the old programmer can't tell the time....! For a cheap fix I found a "Center CB 2 channel 5/2day programmer" at Wolseley's that might do the trick?

The easy 5 point connections on the boiler are, three for mains, plus one for hot water and one for heating. Will try and post photo.

Sponsored Links
Boiler/ programmer connection
1000006791.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back