Replacement tap valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to fix a hot tap which won't shut off properly and won't open fully.

I've got into the body of the tap, and plan to replace the whole valve, but I can't find a valve which looks like the current one (please see below).

All of the replacement valves I've seen have a grooved top to them (a bit like a mini cog).

Is it still possible to buy replacements, or do I need to change the handle (or whole tap)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

xMEAAxY.jpg

fa88EsM.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably won't need to replace it:

1. Water off.
2. Remove valve (undo lowest large brass nut). You'll probably need to brace the spout with a spanner / large lever. Protect chrome with a bit of leather or thick cloth.
3. Take tap to pieces. Including removing gland nut (small brass nut in photo).
4. Clean all. Replace rubber washer with a new one. Polish spindle as much as possible. Apply silicone grease to all moving parts. Re-assemble.
5. With a torch, inspect seating of valve (in body of tap). If looking rough, but tap seat restoring tool and grind minimum to make seat good.
6. Replace valve in body of tap.
7. Turn on water and test.
8. If leaking from gland nut, turn tap off, undo gland nut, make a "string" of PTFE tape (not gas tape), start with about 4 inches / 100mm length. Wrap around spindle, push down into body of tap with gland nut and do gland nut up.

Thanks oldbuffer. I'm sure that the way you've suggested is the best, but I'm really looking to just quickly whack in a new valve, or maybe a refresher kit.

I took the valve out, and below is a picture of it.

I was thinking of using something like this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-bathroom-basin-tap-reviver-kit/32730

But the quoted thread size is half an inch. I reckon the thread is 3/4 of an inch, so would these work? - https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-bath-tap-reviver-kit-pair/20140

Or does the thread look bigger?

G1WdStN.jpg

The 1/2" size refers to the size of the thread, which is 1/2" British Standard Pipe. This has an "over the threads" diameter of 0.825" or about 21mm.

1/2" is the standard size for basin taps, 3/4" BSP is for bath taps, and has an over the threads diameter of about 26.5mm

If you can accurately measure the threads you'll know for sure which type of reviver you need, but its almost certainly the 1/2" ones.

Sponsored Links
Look at the state of it change the whole tap ffs

You can get a cheapo replacement for your cheapo pos.

1. If you go for a reviver, you may find they are made of a cast zinc alloy. Look OK at first, but often don't last long, particularly in a hard water area.
2. If you go for new taps, I'd remove one of the existing ones first. The basin looks like an old one, and may have a square hole for the tap to go through. If this is the case, or the hole is round but substantially bigger than the shank of the tap, make sure you get a tap with a big enough base to completely cover the hole with a 5mm overlap of any corners / circumference or you'll have great difficulty sealing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back