Replacing 2 roof tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For 2 vent roof tiles. Is it really that easy to do? Seen a video online where they hammer the above tile up, remove the existing tile, cut a hole in felt then put the new tile down and lay the above tile back on top.

Is it really that simple to fit vent tiles?

The front row of mine seems nailed down but one of the rows definitely doesn't appear nailed down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618-132814.png
    Screenshot_20240618-132814.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
That’s all the roofer did to fit mine but he carefully lifted the tiles above and eased in the vent tile. He has also been doing it for 40 years so knows what he can get away with.

For 2 vent roof tiles. Is it really that easy to do? Seen a video online where they hammer the above tile up, remove the existing tile, cut a hole in felt then put the new tile down and lay the above tile back on top.

Is it really that simple to fit vent tiles?

The front row of mine seems nailed down but one of the rows definitely doesn't appear nailed down.
They look like Marley 'bold roll' . Good luck with them. Make sure you locate the vent tile between the rafters.

We make our own vents using a spigotted lead slate, pipe and cowl etc....

My dad used to do bits of roofing on his estate - mainly sorting the rotten felt along the eaves, he had a load of wooden wedges to lift the surrounding (fragile concrete) tiles so he could waggle some out. Have you considered poking around behind the gutter to see if there's scope to create a bit of ventilation there? I know you won't have any at the top but as the issue appears marginal it might be enough, if there's a gable end you could fit something there as well.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, by between rafters you mean
My dad used to do bits of roofing on his estate - mainly sorting the rotten felt along the eaves, he had a load of wooden wedges to lift the surrounding (fragile concrete) tiles so he could waggle some out. Have you considered poking around behind the gutter to see if there's scope to create a bit of ventilation there? I know you won't have any at the top but as the issue appears marginal it might be enough, if there's a gable end you could fit something there as well.
So i have one gable end cavity wall.

The builder pushed insulation into eaves I think so fascia vents won't be effective and I don't have any soffits to speak of.

Felt lap vents are an alternative but worried about wind uplift pressure increase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back