Replacing door silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, hope everyone is well
I am wanting to replace the silicone (?) that the builders used to finish our patio doors where it meets the floor.
As you can see the workmanship is pretty poor and there are some bits that are flaking away.
I have a couple of questions where I need some help please:

1) how easy is it to remove this product without causing wider damage? Is there a tool/technique/product?
2) what actually is this silicone product called? I remember when the builders did it, I’m sure it came out of a trigger gun type tube - and it was a wet product that needed to cure overnight.

See pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Attachments

• IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Something like Dow 796 would be fine, you'll need a gun too, they're only a few £, the problem you may have if you only replace the floor seal is firstly a different colour match and secondly it's unlikely to bond where it joins the wall sealant, assuming they've done a similar seal there? Though that's not so much of an issue when it's an internal seal so it's more for preventing droughts & looking neat. Removal should not damage the floor or door provided you're careful, if it's not been down long and they've done a poor job it may just peel off. Either use a sharp blade (Stanley blade) or similar or there are products that soften the silicone, plenty of threads on the subject here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/search/3943292/?q=silicone+removal&o=relevance

If you want an exact match you should ask the builders what they used.

This is a bug bear of mine, they fit a door (presumably successfully) and then make a right hash of the seal.

Actually I am seeing a bigger problem in that the is no expansion gap for the floor. IMO the floor should finish something like 10mm from the door and the gap covered with an end strip fixed to the door/ sill to allow the floor to expand under it.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to get away with removing the silicone and using an adheasive fix a simple end profile to the inside of the door sill similar to this. In a grey/ acanthite colour to match the door. Need to make sure that the down section of the profile is no longer than the height of the floor so that it sits flat to the floor.
fl.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back