replacing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone great site here. I have a question regarding my floorboards upstairs. After takin my carpet back upstairs i realise i need about 5 new boards however all i seem to find at bandq and carvers is t and g [ my boards are not t and g]. Any advice where i can locate some? also when i purchase and fit them as long as i sand and stain will the colour match be ok even if different timber? thanks

Sponsored Links
Take a sample board to your local timber merchant and ask for the same thing. They will rip the correct timber to the correct size for you. As for staining you really want the same timber, So tell them you want the same timber. Bet there cheaper than b&q etc aswell .

Koko - is it your intention to show the sanded & stained floor. How old is the house? With very old boards (Victorian & Edwardian for example) you'll find it difficult get a match, off the shelf, with the size as more modern boards tend to be narrower (+t&g); you'll also not get a colour match. Modern house - then you are likely to get a good match. Matty's advice about getting the timber yard to cut to size is correct. You could, of course, obtain some reclaimed boards (easy to get).

Equalising the colour, with stain, over a floor containing a mix of boards is possible once the whole floor has been sanded. If you want a pine effect get a 2.5 or 5L can of Antique Pine stain (water or spirit based), dilute a small quantity, apply to the lightest boards to bring them near to the colour of the rest (you may have to do more than one coat). Don't be tempted to use neat stain at this point to rush the job, use a weak mix remembering the point is to gradually colour the lighter boards. Once you've evened out the colour, give the whole floor a coat of neat stain to equalise.

If you want to varnish the floor you can get this with stain pre-mixed but you'll still have to have done the above first.

Always try to get your timber in a 'proper' timber yard, they should know how to keep the stuff stored correctly, it'll always be better quality and will usually be cheaper/better value. Trouble is they usually aren't open on Saturday pm or Sundays.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys.My house is built 1950s and i will be leaving the floor exposed when finished ( as long as it looks ok), and depending on the results going through the whole upstairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back