Replacing Hall light with several mains voltage halogen down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a hall light on a two way circuit with several mains voltage halogen downlighters. In order to preserve the swithching can I just wire the two existing wires to the light into a terminal block and then wire the new lights all to the same block, please?
If not how should I do it?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
almost. you should replace your current light with a junction box then wire the new lights from this. the junction box will ensure the remaining lights still work

What sort is the existing light? Is it a pendant hanging from a ceiling rose?

If so. are you happy that you know how to deal with each of the 9 wires you may find when you unscrew the rose?

Thanks to both of you.
There is no ceiling rose just a wire coming through to a mock chandelier.
The house was built in the sixties and I'm fairly sure, though I've yet to check, that it is a radial circuit using junction boxes with a switch wire emerging at one side and a cable to the bulb at the other.

Sponsored Links
which should make your life very easy

just connect all your new wires to the existing junction box

btw terminal block must only be used inside a suitable enclosure

Oh, and one more thing. These lamps emit huge amounts of heat and need to be kept well clear of anything inflammable, such as floorboards and any debris in the ceiling void. Intumescent fire caps should really be used. The popular term may be 'downlighters' but I refer to them as 'fire hazards'.

Thanks for your responses. I was aware of the fire risk and note that terminal blocks should be in an enclosure. There is no debris between the floorboards and ceiling and no insulation so it looks like a junction box is the way forward.
Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back