Replacing new 2-way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please? Trying to simply "update" the original 2 way switch with a nice new white one. Trouble is, I have differing terminals on the new switch ie..
old one L1 L2 Com (on the top)
Com L1 L2 (on the bot)

New one Com Com (top)
1 Way 2 Way 1 Way 2 Way (bot)

I have "flagged" the wires so I know what went where but not sure where to stick 'em in the new switch.
Bit long and drawn out, but anyone got any answers?
Cheers H

Sponsored Links
Harry, the common wire will always go in the common terminal, regardless of location.

The cable from L1 should go in the one way terminal and the one from the L2 should go in the two way terminal.

If you find this has a strange effect on the switching of the lights, simply change around the one and two way cables.

Hope this helps.

Thanks FWL for the reply. That's pretty clear now. Problem now is that the friendly and helpful sparky (before my time in this house!) has left the wires so short they won't reach the terminals in the new switch!! Brilliant eh?! I'll have to search for a new switch with the same configuration of terminals as the old one (if poss). Anyway, if I locate such a switch I know how to wire it! Thanks again, H.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back