Replacing old Honeywell controls with ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, we've moved in to a house with a pretty old system comprising unvented tank and system boiler. It's currently controlled by a Honeywell of some sort - not sure of the exact model number (see photo below.) This is hardwired back to the system via a disaster of a wiring centre. (See this thread for more information.)

1727788012973.jpeg

The purpose of this thread is to seek recommendations for a new set of controls. We don't currently have any room 'stats so running on basic 5+2 schedule via the Honeywell. We won't be upgrading the core DHW & CH systems for a while but I would like to get better control over them as soon as I can.

I'm currently looking at one of the Drayton Wiser systems (either DHW + 1 or 2 CH channels) to replace the Honeywell. I want something that offers mobile app control/monitoring, full time based schedule with temperature setpoints. Ideally with the ability to add more channels (heating circuits) over time (4 storey house, 4 bathrooms eventually, kitchen, utility, etc.)

We had Hive in the last house which was mostly ok but I'd prefer not to go down the Nest/Hive route as would prefer a proper industry solution, not something consumer inspired trying to flog me endless other "smart" home solutions that will tie me to a platform. Ideally it would be something that works completely locally without any cloud access.

I can think of Drayton Wiser, Heatmiser, Honeywell Evohome... What else should I be looking at?

Long term, due to the size & construction of the house, we're unlikely to move to underfloor heating or heat pump, so I want to end up with something that will work with a modern, opentherm or weather-comp enabled system with a system boiler running at a sensibly low flow temp. I'm already sizing and replacing radiators to hit an ideal 55degree flow temp.

Sponsored Links
Wiser and their TRVs will (relatively expensively) do what you desire and provide ability to schedule the rooms independently. Unless you re-plumb with an additional CH zone valve then HW+1 is all you need plus TRVs.

Honeywell Evohome can do the same and is also pricy.

Both will try to flog you other in home automation stuff from their range.

My eldest has a pile of stuff from Tado that he's used in his rented homes and has just relocated to another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back