Replacing old school 1970s window latches with easy fit lockable alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for surface mounted lockable window latches\handles that can be screwed in place on the surface of painted timber window frames, without the need to do anything that would involve cutting chunks out of the windows (screw holes are OK, but I can't chisel out anything, I'm under orders on this).

I have no personal need for them to have any safety or child proofing features, or anything to prevent the windows from simply opening fully. The property is owner occupied.

This is what is currently fitted, I'm looking for something that can be fitted in a similar manner. There are after market locks and alarms (not pictured), on all of the downstairs windows, but I need to fit locks on the upstairs windows as well (Don't ask), and I've decided to replace all of latches with identical ones in one go as the whole place needs redecorating and the existing ones are just plain ugly so I might as well take them off and replace them when I paint.

IMG_20240921_114228171 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20240921_114216363 - Copy.jpg

My local DIY shops have a very poor range, and I'm not sure what to look for or where to go online.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking at fitting them on 40 windows, so a budget option would be best. No bells, not whistles, and no need for anything ornate. Just basic white plastic if possible.

Has to be easily obtainable in the UK. Screwfix, Amazon, Tool station, or online retailer.

Emphasis on the affordability.

Sponsored Links
My local DIY shops have a very poor range, and I'm not sure what to look for or where to go online.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The solution, really depends upon how lockable they need to be. A simple fix, would be to drill a hole, in the end of those arms, and add a screw through into the timber frame. An improvement on that, would be a thing you can buy, like a rod, with a wood screw thread at one end, and a machine thread on the other. Once screwed into the timber, you just add a nut, to lock it down.

The solution, really depends upon how lockable they need to be. A simple fix, would be to drill a hole, in the end of those arms, and add a screw through into the timber frame. An improvement on that, would be a thing you can buy, like a rod, with a wood screw thread at one end, and a machine thread on the other. Once screwed into the timber, you just add a nut, to lock it down.

The short answer is that they're old and ugly, and the wife wants them replaced with something newer and nicer when I paint the window frames. So I'm going to do everything to match all in one go.

Apparently these are called casement latches, because that's the name given to a window that has vertical hinges and goes inside a frame like this.

Sponsored Links
You can get locking cockspur latches which don't look bad and are easy to use.

I think you get better security with an additional device near the top and the bottom of the opening side which clamps the window to the frame.

The key operated bolts often used on patio doors are very good.

If you can afford it, and the frames are quite thick, there are short mortice bolts operated with a rack key. They are very good and concealed apart from the keyhole. They are not often seen, though the longer door types are common and useful in French Windows. You may find some at a lock merchant.

Locking the casement stay is I think not much good, because it does not prevent the window being opened enough to insert a lever. Your existing ones look like they are made of zinc alloy and easily broken.

The big brand names tend to be overpriced, the ironmongery is quite simple. Own brand lines are often remarkably similar. Altro, ERA and Avocet are good. Unbranded ones can be good from a reputable merchant.

There are also very cheap devices sold in street markets and corner shops that are poor.

I recommend getting a standard key, and putting a cup hook in the top corner of each window frame, furthest from the opening, where it cannot be seen from outside and can be concealed behind a curtain. You can attach a brightly coloured ribbon to each to reduce losses.

Lots more on https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=window lock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back