Replacing pull cord switch with a wireless light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have a pull cord switch in the bathroom that operates both downlights and the extractor fan. I'm planning to replace it with a wireless switch (see photo 1). The wireless receiver has both IN and OUT options for L/N wires, however my pull cord switch only has two wires L/N (see photo 2).

I'm therefore not sure how to install the wireless receiver ... i.e. when I remove the pull cord switch, should the L/N wires go into the IN or OUT end of the wireless receiver? Or do I need to find the main connection up in the loft to install the wireless receiver there?

Thanks and advance!

Attachments

• wireless-light switch.jpg
    wireless-light switch.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 48
  • pullcord.jpg
    pullcord.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Likely at the lamp you can fit a relay, but there are many ways around the problem, you have to decide which to use.

So can use a PIR for fan, then sure it is switched on.
Also, PIR for light, although sitting on the throne, waving one's hands to get lights back on, does seem a bit odd.
Smart bulb, of course, but that leaves the fan to sort out.
A smart switch, battery powered.

But all, including the smart relay, I can't see how to integrate the fan? There is no need for the fan and lights to be connected, a simple pneumatic time switch can work the fan.

Step one for me would be to test the relay. What happens if you remove power? My smart bulbs all switch on after a power cut, my Energenie smart light switches stay off, and my TP-link smart switches stay as they were before the power cut. After a power cut, I have to wait for the router to boot, then say "Hey google turn off all lights" because I use Google mini's I don't need the phone, but without the voice command option it would be a pain turning off all the lights which have auto turned on.

Why on earth would you change this?
I would not put it so blunt, but to advise one does need to know why you want to automate bathroom lights.

Sponsored Links
Surely a pull switch is better than a wireless switch?
That's three of us, I am still waiting to be told what the aim is? I used a smart relay for my landing light, two reasons, one, the downstairs switch was opposite end of hall to stairs, and two wanted to split lamps so either 1, 4, or 5 bulbs in use.

I am envisioning someone lying in the bath, and kids saying hey google turn off bathroom lights!

Hi all, I merely asked for a DIY solution for something I want to install/amend in my house. Personally, I find pull cords outdated and less aesthetically pleasing than light switches, which is why we hardly see them in modern homes. I didn't expect such ideological reactions, nor did I anticipate being scrutinised or having assumptions made about our use of a wireless switch.

I’ve found a solution from elsewhere so I will take my leave.

Hi all, I merely asked for a DIY solution for something I want to install/amend in my house. Personally, I find pull cords outdated and less aesthetically pleasing than light switches, which is why we hardly see them in modern homes. I didn't expect such ideological reactions, nor did I anticipate being scrutinised or having assumptions made about our use of a wireless switch.

I hope you won't find out about the problems some people are having with radio controlled switches, personally I don't see the disadvantage you describe with a pull switch, which are still regularly installed in new build bathrooms up and down the country.

OK the 1718964178126.pngbit goes at the light, not the switch, the existing pull cord becomes redundant.

Yes, this lot can be luddites! ;)

However, to be fair, your answer was more or less, given in post #2!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back