Replacing Shower Tray without Damaging Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My shower tray (Mira Flight Level 1700 X 900 with a waste rated at 30 litres/min) doesn't seem to be able to cope with the water flow from my shower. I think that it's a drain issue as it's never been right - the shower drains just fine at first and then it's as though it clogs up. I presume it's that the drain pipework hasn't got enough of a slope or that the pipework is too small. The shower can run at up to 16 litres/min though it will start to overflow even if adjusted down to 10 litres/min.

I have two options:

1. I could open up the (kitchen) ceiling underneath to access the pipework.
2. I could try and cut out the shower tray but is this even possible with say a multi tool and a great deal of care?

The kitchen ceiling option is obviously going to be very disruptive - I'd prefer not to mess the kitchen up and have to replaster the large ceiling.

Thanks and any ideas? :)

Sponsored Links
Can you access the point you shower waste connects to the other waste ? Or is it a run on its own
I can't access anything but I think a pair of sinks may be connected to it under the floor somewhere.

Coincidentally (or not), the sinks also have the same issue, as though there's an air lock. They empty at first but tend to fill a little before eventually letting the water drain out.

Sponsored Links
has it struggled from day 1 ?
Sadly, yes. Only discovered it was an issue long after the builders had gone (whole house renovation).

We do notice the odd (very slight) but similar issue occurring in another shower at the other end of the house. The only common denominator (apart from the builder's plumber's likely incompetence - I doubt he was really a plumber) is that we have a septic tank. I did wonder if that was causing an air blockage.

We don't have any issue with the septic tank, though it probably needs emptying anytime now, but occasionally there's a bit of an earthy smell from the shower's drain - never anything "worse" than that though.

From new it would not be unusual for a lazy tiler/plasterer to have put stuff down the drain and its went hard and partially blocked it

From new it would not be unusual for a lazy tiler/plasterer to have put stuff down the drain and its went hard and partially blocked it
I guess there's no way of telling until the ceiling is opened up and the pipework examined - I'll be somewhat irritated if that is the problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back