Replacing window pane in window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve measured the existing pane by removing the bead and ordered a replacement. The current one had moisture between the panes. It wasn’t standing on the base though (apparently, a common cause). It was resting on some spacers.

When I put my new pane in, should the spacers be placed in a certain number of positions?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a sealed unit in a timber frame? The spacers are only there to level up the top/bottom gap. Resting on spacers should have no impact on the longevity of the unit. If it is a timber frame- only silicone/seal the outer part. That will enable the inner pane of glass to expand/contract in unison with the outer pane.

Do you mean a sealed unit in a timber frame? The spacers are only there to level up the top/bottom gap. Resting on spacers should have no impact on the longevity of the unit. If it is a timber frame- only silicone/seal the outer part. That will enable the inner pane of glass to expand/contract in unison with the outer pane.
Sorry for the lack of detail. It’s a sealed unit going into a upvc frame. I read somewhere that if the sealed u it is resting on the plastic (with no spacers), it can cause moisture to seep through.

I wanted to understand how and where I should position spacers when putting the new sealed unit in.

Thanks for your help.

I read somewhere that if the sealed u it is resting on the plastic (with no spacers), it can cause moisture to seep through
Bridging packers sit over the frame profile, supporting the sealed unit, while allowing water to free drain beneath.
If you have these in place already, then they should be fine for the new unit.
If they have been siliconed in place, clean the silicone off; occasionally the wrong type of silicone could damage sealed units.

Also, is this a fixed pain, or an opening one?
If opening, the packers may need to be placed in certain positions, to 'toe and heal' the frame.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the lack of detail. It’s a sealed unit going into a upvc frame. I read somewhere that if the sealed u it is resting on the plastic (with no spacers), it can cause moisture to seep through.

I wanted to understand how and where I should position spacers when putting the new sealed unit in.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the clarification. I seldom deal with uPVC units. It is above my pay grade, but AFAIK uPVC units are designed to let rain water run out through weep holes. The sealed unit should be- well.. sealed. I cannot see how a lack of spacers on the underside would make a significant difference given that the internal frame is going to have a ridge that that the sealed unit sits on. That said, I cannot speak with authority. There are guys here that can give you a definitive answer, two that spring to mind are @ronniecabers and @crank39 (there are others as well though).

Best of luck.

As above really, packers are there to lift the glass up from the frame, if any water building up touches the glass then it'll fail within years. Try not to obstruct the drainage holes with the packers, place either side of not over and use bridge packers if possible, you may depending on the thickness of the bridge packer need to put another normal packer on top to lift the glass off the frame. Also make sure both panes of glass are supported by the packer otherwise over time one pane can slip down causing a failure, we use 32mm packers for 28mm units because there's generally always enough room at the back to slide the packer homeland get a bead in

use bridge packers if possible
Can you explain these a bit more and where I might be able to purchase them please? I have a bag of assorted packers that I purchased from screwfix several years ago.

Also, as well as packers on the base, do I need to place them along the sides or anywhere else?

Thanks for your help with this.

This is a fixed pane.
Only base packers required.
If the unit is particularly wide/heavy, centre packers may be needed.

Can you explain these a bit more and where I might be able to purchase them please?
If your existing Packers fit over the frame profile and leave a drainage gap, then they will be fine.
Otherwise, bridging Packers look like...

(These may, or may not be suitable for your frame)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back