Replacing wooden front door with existing conrete sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved house and want to replace my front door with a composite door. The existing door has a large concrete sill underneath and closes against a metal weather bar that sticks out of the concrete.

Should I order a door without a sill and sit the frame over the metal strip and fix down into the concrete sill or do I try to remove the concrete sill and then brick up back to floor level and fit a door with it's own sill? I can't seem to find any guides or information on how to deal with this and yet there must be plenty of houses that have this setup.

Sponsored Links
Door Sill.png

I'm not sure if this makes it clearer but the image on the left shows how the door closes now. I could fix the new frame as shown on the right perhaps although it would make the threshold higher up or should I just take the whole concrete sill out and start again so I can bring the threshold down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back