Restoring planes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, a couple years ago I believe, I brought 2 no.4 planes that were missing bits and I was wanting to “upgrade” other bits (the handles). I brought 5 blades, 3 were on clearance/sale, 2 were 10x the price I paid for the planes combined each minimum.
I think it was about 15 months ago I brought a beaten up record no.4 1/2 plane, no missing parts, but the blade beaten up and badly chipped. What would be the fastest way to get the iron back to full sharpness? I only have a mini sharpening station (I don’t have a bench grinder although thinking about getting one).

The problem is the missing parts really, they both require a new chip breaker and iron cap. At least that’s what think it’s missing and unknown if the names of the parts are correct so here I am… do you see anything I need, that I have missed? Where would I get the parts for these? I would also like to replace the plastic handles for real wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9899.jpeg
    IMG_9899.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Ideally you need a horizontal whetstone grinder or equivalent, or maybe a bench grinder with a wheel that is as least as wide as your blade.
You can use thinner grinding wheels of course, but it depends on how much experience or practice you've had using them.
You can even get by with a belt linisher with an 80 grit belt, but again it needs to be wide.
To kick off, are new blades available at all?
John :)

Sponsored Links
so I know I am missing 2 parts on each plane, but is there anything else I have missed?

I was half being stupid on my first post, so I do have a sharpening station, I use it to help restore chisels. I do have a knife sharpening station, and I do have wet stones. I do also have a belt sander.

So would you suggest in getting a bench grinder and go to junk/car boot/charity shops to find knifes, chisels and planes so I can learn how to sharpen them all from completely dull, chipped and semi sharpened blades?

Blimey, I swapped over to an electric planer years ago. They old fashioned jobbies are too much like hard work.

A belt linisher, such as this:
Has a belt of around 100mm wide so it's wide enough for plane irons.
It's simple enough to make a rest for the grinding angles needed.
For sure, it isn't the best machine for this but a whetstone horizontal grinder won't take out notches in the blade - it's really just for honing.
A thin bench grinder wheel isn't really suitable either - it's too easy to grind to much, overheat or generally wreck the blade unless you have had a lot of practice.
I use my linisher with 120 grit belts, and then it's on to an oil stone for the final hone.
Incidentally, you'll find old chisels and plane blades are of a much better quality than the imported carbon steel rubbish we are fed with these days!
Food for thought anyway.
Regards

I just can’t seem to find the 2 missing parts, they are either way too expensive, or out of stock, I check maybe 4-6 websites weekly to see if they have any new stock, but as said here, buying second hand over the cheap goods made today is the main factor. Should I buy a new no.4 plane and use that until I find the bits to restore my older ones? The cheap blades I got as replacements as the planes came with no blades, are these https://www.diy.com/departments/magnusson-smoothing-plane-blade-l-185mm/1776087_BQ.prd I got 3 for £1 instead of £1 each on clearance and I think they were about £10 beforehand.
Last year I went to Axminster and I brought a couple of blades which are a much better quality if you go by weight, 2 planes are heavier than 3 I got from B@Q
A belt linisher, such as this:
Has a belt of around 100mm wide so it's wide enough for plane irons.
It's simple enough to make a rest for the grinding angles needed.
For sure, it isn't the best machine for this but a whetstone horizontal grinder won't take out notches in the blade - it's really just for honing.
A thin bench grinder wheel isn't really suitable either - it's too easy to grind to much, overheat or generally wreck the blade unless you have had a lot of practice.
I use my linisher with 120 grit belts, and then it's on to an oil stone for the final hone.
Incidentally, you'll find old chisels and plane blades are of a much better quality than the imported carbon steel rubbish we are fed with these days!
Food for thought anyway.
Regards

So, should I use the belt sander of which shows sharpening some items in the manual as it can be locked down into the bench sideways or on its back/top so you can use it as a belt linisher?

I forgot to say, the wet stones I have… I also have diamond whetstones too…

Diamonds in 200, 300, 400 and 600grit
Sharpening station stones in 120, 320, 600 and 1500 grit
My whetstones are 240, 1000/3000*^, 2000/5000*^ and 10000* grit
* Japanese
^ Double sided

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back