Roman tiles installed next to Ludlow without bonding gutter. (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m looking for advice on an issue that has arisen since my neighbour has had a new roof. Before the work, there was a bonding strip separating the two properties. The roofer has removed this and gone way over the party line to interlock the new roman tiles with my Ludlow tiles.
I have been advised by three roofers that you cannot interlock Roman and Ludlow tiles and that a bonding gutter should have been installed.
There is an issue regarding trespass as he didn’t just lift my tile to interlock the two, he removed my tiles and carried the new tile over onto my property so that the join is on my property and not the party wall.
I have spoken with the original roofer and he is adamant that he has not gone over the party line and that you don’t need to bind the tiles as they interlock perfectly.

Here are pictures to show that in my opinion he has gone over the party line

Before (neighbour’s house is the end terrace)
IMG_1423.jpeg

After
IMG_0335.jpeg

He has no interest in putting this work right and has told me to take him to court. I am in the process of doing so. I’m clear on the party wall act and understand that my neighbour could be liable but also feel that he should be accountable for poor workmanship if in fact these two tiles can not be interlocked and a bonding gutter should have been installed. I would appreciate more opinions on this please.

Sponsored Links
I am no roofer but that looks fine to me...

Also, a vast improvement!

I am no roofer but that looks fine to me...
It’s looks like a good job but the join over my property is causing water damage. My post asks if it is possible to interlock two different tiles without a bonding gutter.

Sponsored Links
Water ingress? Well somethings wrong there. Roofer should address that for you.

I can see the different profile now when i zoom in....doesnt look right, i agree.

Last edited:
Personally I think I would contact Marley as they make both those profiles and ask their opinion on whether they can be installed as they have. If your roof is over 30 years old unless you can prove otherwise he may well plead yours has past it's sell by date and is worn out. The ridge on both properties looks strange and I'm wondering if you are getting rain blown up under the new bit on your side and that is causing the leak

Good shout to ask Marley, Thanks, I’ll do that.
My roof has been inspected and is fine -old, but fine. The issue is with the join of the two different tiles over my property and whether or not these tiles can actually be interlocked. I’ve had another roofer tell me today that they can’t be so that’s 4 now.
Regardless of the condition of my roof, the party line has been crossed without my permission and with what I can gather, bad practice. I’m trying to get the original roofer to fix the mistake but he insists there is nothing wrong with what he’s done.
Just wanted as many views on whether the tiles can interlock perfectly. I’m open minded and happy to be proven wrong but so far no one agrees with the original roofer.

Besides the issue of the leak and compatibility of tiles which ofcourse needs resolving, what would be your best outcome?

Yes he can step back the neighbours tiles but then I am assuming he would need to source a new column of Ludlow tiles for your roof so you would have an ugly strip of new Ludlow tiles between the 2 roofs.

I would definitely pursue the fixing of a leak and if so required a bonding gutter, but may be best to let it now be installed where the 2 roofs meet.

In future if you ever get your roof replaced you can then move the bonding gutter back his way, but otherwise for now if you move it back I think it will only get uglier

Personally I think I would contact Marley as they make both those profiles and ask their opinion on whether they can be installed as they have. If your roof is over 30 years old unless you can prove otherwise he may well plead yours has past it's sell by date and is worn out. The ridge on both properties looks strange and I'm wondering if you are getting rain blown up under the new bit on your side and that is causing the leak
Called Marley technical advice line and they said:
“We do not recommend interlocking Roman and Ludlow tiles as they have different profiles and cannot be perfectly interlocked. We would recommend a bonding gutter is used between both tiles.”

Thanks for the suggestion

If they will give you that in writing then the roofer will not have a leg to stand on when you get to court.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back