Ronnie Barker's dead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read that Ronnie Barker died. I used to love watching the Two Ronnies when I was a child, probably the only comedy my parents could let us watch without worrying about the content!

So, it's goodbye from him...

Sponsored Links
I have to admit after leaving showbusiness for so long that i thought he'd already had pegged it.
Sad loss to the industry, very clever mind and scriptwriter.
It always seems that the Clever half of duo's are going first like with morecombe and wise.
RIP Gerald Wiley.

Fork Handles, Mastermind, F U N E M N X, etc...

Very clever and their best sketches used plays on words.

A very sad loss indeed.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Very clever and their best sketches used plays on words.

I will always remember one sketch where Ronnie Barker talked entirely in spoonerisms (I believe he was actually playing the part of WA Spooner, the inventor of the spoonerism). Absolute class!

If I were to watch the Two Ronnies now it would not make my sides split as perhaps Lee Evans, Chris Rock or any of my other favourite stand-ups would. BUT: I know that if I had children, no matter how young, they could watch it with me, find it funny, and not be exposed to bad language. Brilliant family entertainment.

On a rather crass note, hopefully the BBC will put some of the classic material on DVD now, rather than the lame best of's currently available. However totally agree with what's been said, a huge loss of a comic genius. I still think that a lot of the 2 ronnies material still stands up today, something which I don't think can be said of Morcambe and wise (although I never did like their material)

AdamW said:
BUT: I know that if I had children, no matter how young, they could watch it with me, find it funny, and not be exposed to bad language. Brilliant family entertainment.

There was the odd reference to t*tties and such like, but not directly, eg "Bristols"!

securespark said:
AdamW said:
BUT: I know that if I had children, no matter how young, they could watch it with me, find it funny, and not be exposed to bad language. Brilliant family entertainment.

There was the odd reference to t*tties and such like, but not directly, eg "Bristols"!
Ah the good old days when men would dress up as women in the name of entertainment! :)

Sponsored Links
Back