Ronseal Trade Fencing Stain - like water and washes off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive been using Ronseal Trade Fencing Stain at a current house project. Gates, fences, trellis etc. Usual stuff. On a mixture of brand new timber and older stuff that ive had in stock. All your typical rough sawn tanalised garden landscaping timber. Every tub I open has a different consistency. Some like natural yoghurt and some really very close to the viscosity of water. Ive got on ok with some of this stuff but recently had a mare. Coated one day on a dry breezy day and it was dry and sat out for 8hrs. We then had bad rain in the night and it was washed off.

This stuff is designed to be sprayed or brushed. I stir it and mix it as suggested and have not watered it down. Anyone had similar issues. I can be the only one as I have two trade accounts one with Jewson and one with Travis Perkins in different local towns and im getting the same inconsistent results from both.

Ive contacted Ronseal but they havent given any comment yet and Im getting impatient.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-28 180601.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-28 180601.png
    672.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2024-08-28 180723.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-28 180723.png
    601.2 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Have you given them the batch numbers printed on the tin. I would recommend phoning them rather than emailing them.

Yes thanks ive done that and sent them videos showing the mess and the viscosity differences between tubs. Still awaiting a comment. Was hoping some others on here had, had the same issue. Well not hoping they had problems, but you know what i mean, had the same issue and had been given some technical feedback. I cant be the only one thats seen the big differences in the make up of the product. Thanks

Sorry, although a decorator, I have never used that product.

I recommended giving them batch numbers because they should be able to determine how long ago each tin was produced. It might be the case that one tin was significantly older than the other and might have required more extensive stirring. Alternatively, you may have a bad batch.

I have never contacted their customer support.

Sponsored Links
I have had problems with Ronseal shed and fence stain over the years. It all washed off in the rain. I refuse to use it.

Similar products by other manufacturers are not much better either.

I have found Cuprinol's water-based range with the word 'Preservative' in the title to last much longer - but it doesn't last 'forever'.

Hello, just to follow up on this. I received a response from Ronseal which was generic but also ridiculous. It said the wood needs to be weathered for 6 months and then rubbed down and cleaned prior to application. I am not sure who is doing this to a garden fence. But I was using the product on a mixture of new and old stock fencing that was well weathered and also unfinished and previously stained wood. so I could see that in all cases the stain was crap. Out of the buckets the viscosity was massively different and its nothing to do with having solids in the bottom and not mixing properly.

They offered me a refund which I accepted. I have waited over 14 'working' days for this and still dont have it. Just been on the phone to them again. So now claiming the refund they offered is proving to be a pain in the neck.

So I will clearly never be using Ronseal again or any of their linked companies and would not recommend any of their products because their customer service is as crap as their shed paint!

Hello, just to follow up on this. I received a response from Ronseal which was generic but also ridiculous. It said the wood needs to be weathered for 6 months and then rubbed down and cleaned prior to application. I am not sure who is doing this to a garden fence.

Yes. (y)

Out of the buckets the viscosity was massively different and its nothing to do with having solids in the bottom and not mixing properly.
Mix 1 part beeswax with 3 parts turpentine. Stir the turpentine into the beeswax until an even mixture is formed. Work the paste into your paint to achieve the desired thickness.

Hello, just to follow up on this. I received a response from Ronseal which was generic but also ridiculous. It said the wood needs to be weathered for 6 months and then rubbed down and cleaned prior to application. I am not sure who is doing this to a garden fence. But I was using the product on a mixture of new and old stock fencing that was well weathered and also unfinished and previously stained wood. so I could see that in all cases the stain was crap. Out of the buckets the viscosity was massively different and its nothing to do with having solids in the bottom and not mixing properly.

They offered me a refund which I accepted. I have waited over 14 'working' days for this and still dont have it. Just been on the phone to them again. So now claiming the refund they offered is proving to be a pain in the neck.

So I will clearly never be using Ronseal again or any of their linked companies and would not recommend any of their products because their customer service is as crap as their shed paint!
You are right, old weathered wood and new wood doesn't seem to make any difference.

Some manufacturers do specify new would should be treated with a preservative first - which I do. Yet if the Ronseal fence paint is going to wash off, you'll have the preservative. So probably best to use a preservative for everything.

I refuse to use any Ronseal fence paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back