Roof valley detail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just wondering what the method is for forming a valley?
Looking on the web I see some have a long valley rafter with jack rafters butting to the sides of it and others have a layboard down one set of common rafters and jack rafters laid on top of the layboard.
Is there a specific reason for having either method?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Something also is that the layboard option also limits useable space in your loft as the commons prevent you getting any thing past to get access into the extension are beyond etc

Yes it's for an extension so a valley needs making up to join the new pitched roof to the existing pitched roof.
So do you strip the tiles off the existing roof to expose the rafters and fix a layboard onto them first and then fix the new jack rafters onto the layboard?

Sponsored Links
Yes thats what I did with my extension. The layboard had to be quite wide to catch the cuts of the jack rafters

Okay great, so I don't need to fix a long valley rafter from the ridge to the wall plate then?
Do I need to fix a layboard onto the new jack rafters?

1667570644139.png

Okay great, so I don't need to fix a long valley rafter from the ridge to the wall plate then?
Do I need to fix a layboard onto the new jack rafters?
It depends how the roof is constructed, but generally, no.

Your layboard has to be carefully positioned so that its outer edge forms the straight line onto which the peak of the jack compound cut sits. This is usually a juggling act using a long straight edge or builders lines. It's also a faff determining the acute top and bottom cuts to the layboards. We again use a straight edge and a bevel. You have to have the ridge board set up along with a pair of full rafters (or more depending on roof length) at the gable and work from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back