Roofers all suggest to slide Eaves Trays above the membrane and batten, what can really go wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, have done a fair bit of research and observations on my roof but could do with some guidance at this stage.

Pointing is being done on the house and scaffold is up. I seized the opportunity to spend time near the gutter when it rains and unfortunately I noticed that quite some water is getting behind the gutter, on the fascia board, on onto the brick work, falling on window sills below. The gutter is too far from the slates, particularly at one spot.

We are looking to overclad the fascia board for a long term low maintenance solution (no need to repaint, wooden fascia protected from elements). This means more water will fall behind the gutter if nothing is done because the gutter will be even further away from the slates (about 1 cm).

Had 5 roofers come around for quotes and they all said they would slide eaves tray under tiles and above the batten. One roofer also mentioned it is possible to turn the tray upside down so the shape allows to screw the tray onto the lateral side of the batten to secure it. None would remove the slates and place the tray under the batten and membrane, this is probably not helped by the fact that the batten is immediately behind the fascia. Now, I spent hours on this forum and everybody says it's the right way to do this is to place the tray under membrane and batten.

I pushed the last few roofers with questions to understand why not removing slates and they explained a few rows would have to be removed and more importantly the bottom row cannot be nailed back, tiles have to be masticked or glued. One roofer which seemed to know what he was talking about and that I found on the NFRC database (holds "Competent Roofer" accreditation) said: "What would you prefer, to have the eaves tray possibly flying away, although I've never seen that, or some slates without nails holding with mastic?"

I have since bought a tray, cut a small piece (about 60 cm) and slid it under the tiles myself so I can experiment and learn what happens next time it rains. In the meantime, this is where I could do with your guidance on next step:

1. Are they right that removing slates can be a worst remedy than the disease because they have to be "masticked" or "glued" back and not be nailed?

2. If they place the tray between the tile and the batten it will at least solve my big problem of rain going behind the gutter. I appreciate if there are droplets rolling onto the membrane from moisture in the eaves and those will hit the fascia (I guess it's been like this for 7 years when the roof was redone). However what can really go wrong and how would it make the current situation worse to place the tray as the roofers suggest?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• PXL_20240717_135520558.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240717_135520558.MP.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240717_135502546.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240717_135502546.MP.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
I'm wondering how you can have this problem with a new roof!

Last edited:
Well the water does run behind the gutter, maybe the roof was not designed well, and for sure there was no eaves tray fit in when they laid the membrane and slates. It was done in 2017 by previous owner. Rafters and fascias (at least some of the planks) look like they maybe from before 2017, I don't know. Regardless I'm having to find a solution now. Looking forward to hearing views on my questions above. Thanks!

I can't see you have any choice at this stage, just slide them in.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@catlad Slide them in under the membrane as far as they'll go presumably, until they hit the batten? So maybe they need trimming down to suit.

@freddiemercurystwin The issue here is there is a batten right near the the fascia. Also the tiny gap under the batten you see in the photo is due to a small sag between rafters. on Either side there is no space at all to slide anything under. This is why I was considering asking the roofers to remove the slates however they said that it's not possible without "gluing" them back as the nails will be ripped. I don't understand that part hence my questions above.

You should be able to slide them in under the top two tiles, but on top of the bottom tile.
It will be a faff as the rivets will need lifting out of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back