Rubbly internal wall in Victorian house (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. We've just removed built-in a wardrobe, in a Victorian house, and behind a wooden false wall we've found the original walls to be in this state.

Does anyone know if this is normal construction for an internal wall in a Victorian property? They seem to be large stones rather than bricks.

I've absolutely no clue what to do next? Call a builder? Or a plasterer maybe? I'm worried this is a large, costly fix.

Thanks in advance, any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20240822_102424538.jpg
    PXL_20240822_102424538.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20240822_102401245.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240822_102401245.MP.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20240822_102353091.jpg
    PXL_20240822_102353091.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Despite what many people believe, older houses were built by just as many money grabbing crap builders as new houses, nothing unusual there, any loose bricks/stones need to be mortared in so they're stable then the wall re-plastered.

I'd certainly remove the plaster and loose material and pack with mortar.

You can trowel the mortar flat, you will find it easier than working with plaster, and it is stronger.

I am in an area where older houses had the internal walls rendered with lime and coarse sand, then skimmed with lime.

When cement became available, they used a backing of sand and cement, then a skim of hard plaster.

When I chase in electrical boxes, I set them in mortar which holds them well and is easy to work with. It does not crack and I skim with plaster or joint cement to finish. I repair cracks or loose bricks the same way.

For best strength mist the wall with water before and after, and keep it damp for a few days. If the wall is dry it will shrink away from proper contact.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know if this is normal construction for an internal wall in a Victorian property? They seem to be large stones rather than bricks.
As has been said above, this is completely normal.
Here's one of my 1890's walls revealed, when I removed some blown plaster.
If it wasn't supposed to be seen, this is what you get..

20220827_115133.jpg

I've absolutely no clue what to do next? Call a builder? Or a plasterer maybe? I'm worried this is a large, costly fix.
For me, it was a messy, but cheap and straightforward fix.
i removed the loose stuff - although know when to stop!
Then patced up the bigger gaps, sealed the wall and then foam fixed some plasterboard over the top.

Yours is built from courses of fairly rectangular stone. The first one looks like a stack of round pebbles with huge voids between.

It might not stay up if the plaster is removed, as the lime mortar has probably turned to sand. The plaster may be holding up the wall.

Sometimes internal walls were basically stud walls standing on doubled joists. Instead of using lath and plaster (no plasterboard back then), they would stick some noggins in, fill the space between the studs with any old carp and plaster over. - Ours in this current house were filled with mortared in on-edge bricks - half bricks, broken bricks etc.

Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. We've just removed built-in a wardrobe, in a Victorian house, and behind a wooden false wall we've found the original walls to be in this state.

Thanks in advance, any advice/thoughts appreciated.
Typical rubble filled walls on a Victorian house, the more expensive facing brick wa used for the facade. Fill with mortar and plaster over or refit the frame , with suitable insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back