Run Boiler with Magnaclean Isolated (just using Hot Water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Magnaclean on my boiler is leaking so I isolated it turning the two black valves to the off position. I have ordered a new seal but in the meantime is it safe to use the boiler just for Hot water while keeping the Central heating switched off. Boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 29CDi (Combi).
Just want to check if it is potentially dangerous or could damange running the hot water with Magnaclean isolated.

When this happaned I also noticed the Magnclean is on the flow pipe directly under the boiler, so in effect is this the same as isolating the central heating flow (and return?

Sponsored Links
Oh, a combi.

They are usually on the return. Post some pics please.

If it is the rubber seal on the lid, I have had some success with a couple of temporary bodges. Try them.

Remove the lid, clean the thread and seal, clean the top and the thread on the tub

Wind PTFE tape on the thread of the tub, let it overlap the rim, and rub it firmly down
Or
If you have it, wipe clear plumbers silicone grease on the rubber seal and on the thread of the tub.

I'll try PTFE tape wrapped around the top thread.

In the meantime, is it safe to use the boiler (only the instant hot water) with the Magnaclean isolated, effectively the CH flow and return are isolated.

As you have a combi, if you turn off the CH, as for summer, there will probably be no flow through it

But some boilers circulate periodically to prevent anything seizing up. I do not know if yours does.

Sponsored Links
Pump may cycle against the closed V/V they often get damaged this way, Go to a plumb center and pick one up persomally take old with you they are normally flat but a o ring may be a best temp fix. If you are up north and temprature drops aroung 5 degrees it will run on frost protection.

Be perfectly ok to run it at present there is an internal bypass that allows circulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back