Run new pipework for radiators from these existing pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am hoping to install a couple of radiators into an unheated outbuilding which is very close (about 6 feet through a fully enclosed porch area) to the main house and the boiler. The picture below shows the existing boiler room and, as you can see there is a radiator in that room. The rest of the central heating pipes go into the ceiling, with no easy access.

I was hoping that I could run a flow pipe (marked red) and a return pipe (marked blue), connected to the two pipes which served the existing radiator.

Would that work?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PfSvfhr.jpg

Sponsored Links
Physically yes but regs are likely to not allow this due to the outbuildings having less insulation than the main dwelling.
They will rob all of the output from the boiler and use a lot of gas, unless you have upgraded the insulation.

If you were to do it :whistle: then you ‘might’ want to extend the 22mm f&r pipes down further and tee off of those... add another MZV and programmable roomstat for the outbuildings, or even consider UFH in them with a manifold, which will run at a lower temp to provide heat.

You should probably extend the 22mm pipes and come off those. If it was just 1 small radiator you were adding you could get away with it.

Make sure you prep the pipes properly for soldering, you’ll need to get the paint off.

Will be fine as 15mm pipes can provide several kw easily, your problem will be as above you can't extend the main heating system outside the main heated envelope and remain within regs. This even includes conservatories, due to the fact that they don't meet heat loss requirements.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that "Staying within building regs" is a priority as looking at the picture the existing does not.
Nobody gives a flying fook any how !!
Pipes are fine to tee into.

I doubt that "Staying within building regs" is a priority as looking at the picture the existing does not.
Nobody gives a flying fook any how !!
Pipes are fine to tee into.
Exactly.......who the hell is going to ring county hall and have an inspector call round to check all conformity with all regs..ppl do not give a FF as above

As above - it's only a daft, green rule - no polar bears will die. Don't worry about it, it's your money to spend as you want. No one on here will say a thing. ;)

Where breaking regs are concerned, in for a penny, in for a pound. Unless of course it relates to DIY gas work in which case keep quiet!:whistle:

Where breaking regs are concerned, in for a penny, in for a pound. Unless of course it relates to DIY gas work in which case keep quiet!:whistle:

Fitting a rad in a poorly insulated area is not going to cause a safety issue !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back