running out of oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

My family & I recently moved into a house with an oil fired boiler, first time we have ever had this.

I noticed that my oil was running low earlier this week so phoned a couple of oil companies but all of them said that they are unable to deliver until the 1st or 2nd week of January. I had no idea you had to order it so far in advance. I'm assuming I have something like 90 litres left, give or take 10 litres and I'm not sure how long that will last. I have already placed and order with a company that is delivering sometime in the first week of Jan and I've asked them to mark the delivery urgent...

Is there anywhere else I can get some "emergency" oil from to ensure that we don't run out over Christmas?

Thanks
Michael

Sponsored Links
Oil delivery time is usually (in my experience) two to three days, but of course everyone want a top up before Christmas.

The bad news is that your boiler could use 12-15 ltrs a day, so you have just over a week's worth in your tank. You might scrape through until the first week of Jan.

My oil supplier in the Midlands does drop-off drums of around 250 ltrs. I think they are principally when you want a temp supply if the tank is out of commission for some reason. If you could get one of those dropped off you could possibly use it to top your supply up by hand. Or else it's just a matter of calling everyone you can in the hope that someone can fit you in. If you do find someone the poor driver, slogging away this week, will appreciate a festive twenty in his hand.

Rgds.

OK Thanks

I've purhased some electric heaters and we are trying to only use the oil a couple of hours a day for hot water..

Is there a "litres per hour" estimnate I could use to help me gauge this?

Cheers
M

Can you find out from the previous owners (via their Estate Agent or through your Solicitor) who supplied them with oil? You may be able to take over the contract.

Most contract oil suppliers know when to top up the tank and will come along without being asked. You just get the bill! They don't want you to run out as it gives them a bad name.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The first company I contacted was the company that used to supply the previous owners, they told me they couldn't deliver until week commencing the 8th Jan...

I found another company that would deliver 1st week of Jan and one that would supply me a 1000 litres as an emergency order but the cost was something like £675 for this service...

Not sure what else I could do...

Thanks
M

Is there a "litres per hour" estimnate I could use to help me gauge this?
I assume you don't have the install info passed to you...

Our boiler is a 26/32 kw, in quite a large house. The burner flow rate is specified as 3.37 ltr an hour, so that will give you some idea. Of course the burner isn't on all the time. The boiler is 'on' for 8.5 hrs a day, and as I've said, uses approx 12.5 litres in that time. So on average 1.5 litres an hour.

Rgds.

PS Don't you have an immersion heater? The oil would be better spent on heating the house, esp over Christmas. You have a week's worth of oil in the tank.

I know it won't help your current predicament, but make sure that you have a proper contract with a reliable firm, i.e. one who supplies a known brand (Shell, Esso Texaco). And make sure it is clear who is responsible for keeping your tank full. Then, if you have any problem you can complain to Shell etc!

PS It sounds as if your vendor deliberately ran the tank down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back