Ryobi Hedge Trimmer - How do I sharpen the blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As per subject title really - how do I sharpen the blades ?

I have this ryobi hedge trimmer, had it a few years and now the blades are blunt - very blunt.

So, i gave it a good clean, scraped all the gunk off and then used my Dremel to sharpen it. The cutting edge looks clean and feels sharp, but it still wont cut effectively.

I sharpened both sides of the cutting teeth.

One thing I don't understand (and this could be the problem), if you look closely as the picture the cutting teeth sit above another set of teeth. I'm not sure if these need sharpening too - they don't appear to have cutting edge to them at all, the edge looks to be more rounded / vertical.

I've marked the teeth in yellow/green and these are the ones I have sharpened on both sides

The ones marked in red - I just don't know and have done nothing to them

screenshot-uk.ryobitools.eu-2024.08.22-06_24_22.png

If any one could help or advise then that would be really great.

Thankyou

M

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are cutting teeth in the same fashion that scissors cut by shearing.
Unfortunately DIY blade sharpening isn't really viable (although its fine to take out the odd notch etc) but if they are heavily worn then its surface grinder time. This will be expensive, so hunt around for a replacement set of pattern blades, maybe?
John :)

Yes, they are cutting teeth in the same fashion that scissors cut by shearing.
Unfortunately DIY blade sharpening isn't really viable (although its fine to take out the odd notch etc) but if they are heavily worn then its surface grinder time. This will be expensive, so hunt around for a replacement set of pattern blades, maybe?
John :)

Thankyou.....so it would seem they are really blunt then

Sponsored Links
Good pics, thanks!
Looking at the middle pic, the lower blade needs to be ground flat.....that way it will have a sharp edge for the sliding blade to shear against.
Yours are well rounded due to usual wear and tear and really need grinding or replacing.
A can of spray grease is a good move too.....keep all of the moving parts lubed.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back