Screwing plywood subfloor to concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've read similar posts but seems a little different. Would appreciate thoughts.

5.5x3.5m extension. Solid floor. Subfloor and engineered wood floor covering will be continuous with existing suspended timber floor of main house

Structure (bottom to top):
150mm hardcore / sand blinding / DPM / 120mm celotex / VCL / 100mm concrete with self levelling compound. The concrete is ABOVE the insulation / VCL / DPM.

I don't like glued floating floors as they never feel quite "solid" in my experience. Not keen on adhesives if possible. Generally prefer removable fixings in case of revisions / repairs.

Id like to screw a 18mm plywood subfloor in to the concrete so I can use hidden tongue and groove screws for the engineered wood floor.

As the concrete slab is WITHIN the thermal /VCL envelope, I assume this would be fine.

Sense check?

Cheers,
Joe

Sponsored Links
I hope you don't run any underfloor heating in the concrete :)

Only issue you have is expansion, I would just leave a small 2-3mm gap between the ply sheets, also the 18mm ply will not give you much hold for the hidden screws. Do you get screws small enought for this?

Cheers mate. Yeah, no UFH! Small hidden screws (tongue tite).

I just dislike the slight give in a floating floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back