Screws into doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really that used to using my impact driver drill to put in screws into hinges and closers etc into a fire door so struggled with no pilot hole. I usually use my combi drill with pilot hole. Anyway he said I was bouncing the drill and rounding off the screws. Any technique advice?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No impact drill on hinges.
Pilot hole, then either hand screwdriver of the correct kind (PZ or PH) or drill driver with clutch on low setting and again correct bit then tighten by hand.

I use an impact drill on everything, I know I don't need to and am aware that they are annoying, however....

The reason i do is because all my bits are HEX, Hex wood bits, hex Hss bits, hex Snappy countersink bits, hex spade bits, hex Auger bits, then hex adaptors with every configuration of PZ1 PZ2 PZ3 PH1 PH2 PH3, it's all about speed, however....

You never drive a screw using an impact driver without piloting first on anything that is "Finish".

You never drive a screw using an impact driver without piloting first on anything that is "Finish".
Yeah.. but unfortunately many people do. Drive a by 50mm screw into the floor- yeah use an impact driver. A 15 mm screw into a mdf door... why?

Yeah.. but unfortunately many people do. Drive a by 50mm screw into the floor- yeah use an impact driver. A 15 mm screw into a mdf door... why?
That is because they don't understand Finesse

Best to get a set these bits to pilot otherwise driving screws into mdf causes a volcano effect where the surface rises up to make way for the volume of the screw

Best to get a set these bits to pilot otherwise driving screws into mdf causes a volcano effect where the surface rises up to make way for the volume of the screw
Waste of money.
A bradawl marking the wood in the hole's centre and a pilot hole is all you need.

Waste of money.
A bradawl marking the wood in the hole's centre and a pilot hole is all you need.

As I hurtle towards my dotage, I have noticed that from time to time, if I use a bradawl, particularly if the lighting is poor , I might be out by a mm or so.

I did purchase the Trend set from screwfix.

They were rubbish, they did centre correctly, but would only drill to a depth of about 5mm. I did post about my disappointment on this site and @jobandknock kindly sent me a link to the better quality Trend ones. I haven't gotten around to buying those yet, but will the next time I need to hang some doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back