SDS only drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, quick question. I have a SDS hammer Makita hammer drill, but require SDS bits, specially a 32mm diameter 500mm length drill bit for masonry drilling.

I assume an SDS+ bit is not compatible in the SDS drill. Really struggling to find SDS only drill bits, any particularly ones for my specification. Any ideas folks

Sponsored Links
Hi folks, quick question. I have a SDS hammer Makita hammer drill, but require SDS bits, specially a 32mm diameter 500mm length drill bit for masonry drilling.

I assume an SDS+ bit is not compatible in the SDS drill. Really struggling to find SDS only drill bits, any particularly ones for my specification. Any ideas folks

That sounds confused, but....

That sounds confused, but....
Harry, I agree the the OP is a bit confused/confusing, but so it seems is the article to which you have linked ...

... although entitled "Difference between SDS, SDS Plus and SDS Max drills", it is essentially about SDS Plus, SDS-Top (which I'd never heard of!) and SDS Max - and therefore does not seem to directly address the OP's question!

As I understand it modern bits are backward compatible, not vice cersa.

Sponsored Links
... although entitled "Difference between SDS, SDS Plus and SDS Max drills", it is essentially about SDS Plus, SDS-Top (which I'd never heard of!) and SDS Max - and therefore does not seem to directly address the OP's question!

The OP's post wasn't clear about what exactly he was confused about. He seemed to be mixing up hammer drills, with the completely different technology of SDS. Perhaps if the OP came back, and explained more clearly, then we could help him more?

All he needs to know is that SDS and SDS+ are compatible and both will work in his Makita SDS "hammer" drill. I think he'll struggle to get that size (probably getting into SDS max territory - which won't fit). Just guessing but If he needs a hole for a 32mm waste pipe it should be a bit larger and he'd probably be better off with a core drill - probably 38mm.

The OP's post wasn't clear about what exactly he was confused about. He seemed to be mixing up hammer drills, with the completely different technology of SDS.
I think the only thing 'wrong' with the OP's wording was that he slipped in the word "hammer" - which, in terms of everyday (not technical) language is something that an SDS drill does ('hammers').

If that's the case, then he was simplhy asking whether SDS+ bits would fit into an SDS drill. My point was that, despite it's title', having read the article to which you linked, I would not have been any the wiser as to the answer to that question.

SDS and SDS+ are more or less the same thing.

There are only really two different SDS systems - SDS/+ and SDS max.

The real question would be "Can my drill cope with a 32mm 500mm long bit?"

SDS and SDS+ are more or less the same thing.

There are only really two different SDS systems - SDS/+ and SDS max.

The real question would be "Can my drill cope with a 32mm 500mm long bit?"

Indeed, a corded 2kg drill is typically limited to about 28mm or less

The following Makita is limited to 18mm in concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back