SDS or hammer Drill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which one is better ??

Whats the minimum power I should look for when buying one ?

I've seen really cheap ones to expensive ones. I guess the cheaper ones use inferior materials therefore don't last as long such as gluide brand etc.

I need it for chasing and making holes in walls for wiring purposes etc.

Sponsored Links
A cordless 18 volt sds should meet most of a diyer’s needs but worth getting a good combi too. Make sure the sds has a chisel function.

Which one is better ??

Whats the minimum power I should look for when buying one ?

I've seen really cheap ones to expensive ones. I guess the cheaper ones use inferior materials therefore don't last as long such as gluide brand etc.

I need it for chasing and making holes in walls for wiring purposes etc.
SDS v's hammer is like night and day. In fact, its more than that. SDS all day, weekends and evenings.

Look at the J value if you want to know the power of it's impact. Most are around 2-3, but for less than £100 Screwfix do a Titan that delivers 8-10.
It is quite heavy compared to most of them, but good value. I find it really useful for drilling into walls built in Chert.

Sponsored Links
Look at the J value if you want to know the power of it's impact. Most are around 2-3, but for less than £100 Screwfix do a Titan that delivers 8-10.
It is quite heavy compared to most of them, but good value. I find it really useful for drilling into walls built in Chert.
This one? https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846H

Not the OP but had a similar question about SDS.

I need to drill holes in brick cavity wall for UPVC waste pipes for a sink and washing machine - is this overkill for that, or OK? I need a really long drill bit too, so i don't think my existing lidl drill is up to the task, bless it.

That's one of them. There is a slightly more expensive one that delivers 10J.
To get that sort of impact you normally have to pay someone like Hilti a lot of £.
Some people find it a bit heavy to work with for longer periods, but I use it quite a lot. I've found that because it hammers the bit through the wall quicker, the bits actually last longer than when using my more expensive, but lower powered Bosch. This is because the bit is getting hotter with the Bosch as it's taking much longer to get through.
Quite good for lighter demo work, although obviously not a replacement for the Kango.
It's also useful for drilling hard wood. I let a chippie use it to drill a few holes in an oak door, as his wouldn't touch it.

I need to drill holes in brick cavity wall for UPVC waste pipes for a sink and washing machine - is this overkill for that, or OK? I need a really long drill bit too, so i don't think my existing lidl drill is up to the task, bless it.

You need a core drill.

I'm sure this has been asked before. Anyway, SDS and hammer drills do different jobs. A SDS drill will do what want in drilling holes in brick/concrt/rock, yes, will do it faster in higher power machines but those machines also weigh more so you need to trade off power against duration of use as well as cost. A heavy machine may do a job faster but you are unlikely to use as long or as accurately as a lighter tool.

I've discovered that over the years, have the original drill I bought (heavy but lots of power) but nowadays rarely used and a much lighter, more like a hammer drill that sees lots of use which can be all day. I couldn't now and never could with the heavier tool. Drilling holes in masonry - little difference in time taken for one or two, for many holes the heavier drill takes me longer due to the weight of the tool causing me to need longer recovery periods between uses. the heavier machine wins on demolition or breaking up paths and the like where I'm not supporting the tool all the time.

Chasing out - an angle grinder is more accurate but possibly more dusty.

For a tool have a look at https://www.einhell.co.uk/search-result-page?q=Sds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back