Seal soffits? Black or white?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’ve had new UPVC soffits, fascias and guttering put over the existing timber. The wall is rough cast and has been painted over the years. To fit the shiplap/T&G soffits some of it has been chipped away and paint has flaked off below the level of the soffit.

The roofer says he can seal the soffit to the wall but it wouldn’t look good due to the ‘bobbly’ nature of the painted roughcast. But if it’s left will rain penetrate behind the paint and do more damage?

I’ve read that you should seal soffits to stop insects. I’ve also read that you shouldn’t as you need ventilation, so I’m not sure.

If you do, what sealant would you use and what colour would be less noticeable? The soffits are black and the walls are white. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Rain does not get into soffits - that the whole point of them

Any gaps should be sealed with a suitable mastic to keep insects out. You don't leave gaps for ventilation.

Normally with uneven render, the soffit is finished into an edge strip, which is fitted to a straight line, and then any unevenness is made good with a mastic - either black to match the soffit, or maybe paintable, not silicone so that it can be blended in with the render later. It depends on the gaps.

It’s not the best example but this is all I can get to right now.
IMG_4983.png

There are tubes of black Soudal Silurub LMN Neutral Silicon and clear Fix-All in the rubbish

I’d like it to be paintable so could you recommend something? Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back