section of cellar ceiling concrete with metal protrusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had the lath and plaster cellar ceiling removed. However, the contractor did not take down the small section beside the chimney breast. There's a metal protrusion and what appears to be solid concrete rather than lath and plaster around it.

Does anybody know what sort of Victorian contraption this is?

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
That gives an impression of being a steel box. I think I see rust poking through, where the paint is missing.

[EDIT] It's a safe, hidden in the floor..

That gives an impression of being a steel box. I think I see rust poking through, where the paint is missing.

Thank you - I think you're on to something... I never thought of this.

Was this a common practice?

I should be able to remove it. I plan on plasterboarding the ceiling - I don't want to get all the mess out and done.

Sponsored Links
Have a look from above. It's larger than usual, but if it is a floor safe, it will be bolted or screwed to the joists at each side (possibly with spacers if non-standard joist spacing) and the floorboards will have been cut for access. There may have been a flap of the flooring material that lifted or hinged out for access to the door. The door will generally be thicker and stronger than the body of the box.

If that is what it is, a modern angle grinder will cut through the box from beneath and you should then have access to the fixing screws. It is not likely to have fireproofing or cut protection layers.

Any fireproofing will most likely be gypsum layers, but there is a faint chance of asbestos. You could drill an exploratory hole with a hardplate drill.

It might contain papers, or sovereigns, or photos, or nothing. If you work from the top it might possibly be unlocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back